Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Review
The 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid ranks 8 out of 10 Full Size Pickup Trucks. This ranking is based on our analysis of 34 published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
Test drivers say that the Silverado Hybrid offers a spacious interior and better fuel economy than the gas-only Silverado. However, they’re let down by its low towing capacity and high price.
The 2013 Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid has a V8 engine and two electric motors. Most critic agree that the Silverado Hybrid accelerates quickly and offers sufficient power, though one test driver says that transitions between the gas and electric power could be more refined. An electrically variable transmission (EVT) is standard, and although many reviewers don’t comment on the Silverado Hybrid’s transmission, one reviewer says it shifts quickly. The EPA reports that the 2013 Silverado Hybrid gets 20/23 mpg city/highway, which is higher than most trucks in the class. However, non-hybrid rivals like the Ram 1500 come close to matching the Silverado Hybrid’s fuel economy. Most critics say that the Silverado Hybrid drives and handles as well as other full-size trucks. However, a few reviewerscomplain about its brakes. Some say that they can be grabby, while others mention that the brake pedal feels spongy.
While most trucks in the class are available in multiple cab configurations, the Silverado Hybrid is only available as a crew cab that’s equipped with a 5-foot-9-inch bed. Some reviewers write that the Silverado Hybrid’s interior isn’t the most attractive in the class, but most agree that it’s functionally-designed and built with decent materials. Passenger space is ample in both rows, and test drivers say that the front seats are comfortable. The Silverado Hybrid earns praise for its simple audio and climate controls, as well as an optional navigation system that’s easy to use. It also comes with more standard features than most trucks in the class, including dual-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth and a six-speaker stereo with satellite radio and a USB port. Options and standard features on the 2HY trim include a seven-speaker Bose stereo, a backup camera, parking sensors and a universal garage door opener.
- "The real deal-breaker, though, is its higher price, which is thousands more than a comparably equipped version with the 5.3-liter V8 under the hood and would take many years of operation to be offset by lower fuel consumption." -- Edmunds
- "The Hybrid model's price premium over conventional versions is steep, but so are the gas savings. Want a guilt-free rig that can handle all but the heaviest-duty jobs? This is the truck for you." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
- “For those who want to use as little gas as possible but still need the capabilities of a full-size pickup truck, the hybrid twins from General Motors will fit the bill nicely. So let the love affair continue." -- Autoblog (2009)
Other Trucks to Consider
The Ram 1500 earns fuel economy that’s nearly as good as the Silverado Hybrid, thanks to a new V6 engine and eight-speed automatic transmission. While the Silverado Hybrid hasn’t changed much since its introduction, the Ram received interior and exterior styling updates for 2013.
The Ford F-150 isn’t available as a hybrid, but it still gets decent fuel economy with the available EcoBoost V6 engine. The F-150 also excels where the Silverado Hybrid falls short, with a maximum towing capacity that’s among the highest in the class.
Details: 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid
The 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid seats six and comes with rear-wheel drive or optional four-wheel drive. A 6.0-liter V8 engine and an electrically variable transmission (EVT) that contains two electric motors are standard. The Silverado Hybrid comes in two trims: 1HY and 2HY, the latter of which upgrades some interior materials and adds to the list of standard features. The Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid sees no major changes for 2013. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2009 through 2013.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid for sale (33,608 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid
- See what others paid for the 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid
- View Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Photos
- See Full Size Pickup Trucks rankings