Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Review
The 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 ranks 3 out of 6 Full Size Pickup Trucks. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500, as well as reliability and safety data.
Its smooth ride and low-noise interior make the 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 an attractive truck, reviewers say, though it trails competitors in the use of cutting-edge technology.
Auto journalists like the power that the 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500's standard V6 engine generates, as well as the ease with which it tows light trailers. Available 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter V8 engines impress test drivers, who note the former's swift acceleration and the latter's 12,000-pound maximum tow rating. Both the standard V6 and 5.3-liter V8 motors are mated to a six-speed automatic transmission; the 6.2-liter V8 gets an eight-speed automatic. A V6-powered Chevrolet Silverado 1500 achieves an EPA-estimated 18/24 mpg city/highway, which is comparable with the ratings of rivals. Test drivers are impressed with the Silverado's quiet ride and note that it rides comfortably and feels composed over rough roads with either a loaded or empty bed.
The 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500's interior is well-styled, critics write, with high-end materials used for the upper trim and finely textured plastics for the lower. Reviewers appreciate the Silverado 1500's quiet cruising-speed ride, supportive front seats and spacious rear seats, though some note that the driver's vision is diminished by the pillars supporting the windshield. Dual USB ports are standard, and optional features include dual-zone automatic climate control, navigation, a rearview camera, Bluetooth, a six-speaker Bose audio system, front and rear parking sensors and Chevy's MyLink infotainment system with either a 4.2-inch display screen or 8-inch touch screen. Test drivers write that MyLink is intuitive and that its voice command system is responsive.
- "Flashy bits like turbocharged engines and air suspensions aren't part of the package, but a quieter, cushier interior, improved power and fuel economy, and a number of useful technology features make the new Silverado a smart choice for a broad spectrum of pickup buyers." -- Left Lane News
- "Just off a head-to-toe revamp last year, the 2015 Chevrolet Silverado is a competent competitor in the fierce full-size truck segment. Available with a trio of engine choices and a variety of configurations and trims that range from a basic work truck to a leather-embellished upscale hauler, the Silverado can suit a variety of needs and tastes." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Fully redesigned last year, the 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 offers a more modern take on the traditional full-size pickup truck. That means the bare interiors and low-quality materials found in the old trucks are gone, replaced instead by a more elegant interior, crossoverlike ride and handling, modern technology and -- at the heart of it all -- improved capabilities. In other words, the latest Silverado makes an excellent case for itself as one of today's top pickup trucks." -- AutoTrader
- "In a changing large-truck market, the Silverado has evolved like a rock; it's a geological commodity meticulously polished by time. In focusing on the fundamentals, Chevrolet passed on the latest trends but delivered a pragmatic truck that gets the core attributes right." -- Car and Driver (2014)
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Pictures & Videos
Other Trucks to Consider
The Ford F-150 is fully redesigned for 2015, and reviewers are impressed with the ample power and good fuel economy from its available turbocharged 2.7-liter V6. They also like its comfortable cabs and praise its outward visibility.
Test drivers regard the Ram 1500 as one of the best-handling and most comfortably riding trucks in the segment, thanks to its unique standard rear suspension design and available air-adjustable suspension. It also has the only diesel engine in the segment, and with it, the Ram 1500 gets great fuel economy.
Details: 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
The 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 comes in three cab configurations: Regular Cab, which seats three; and Double and Crew Cabs, which seat up to six. A 4.3-liter V6 engine is standard and either a 5.3-liter or 6.2-liter V8 are optional. V6 and 5.3-liter V8-powered models have a six-speed automatic transmission, and those with the 6.2-liter V8 have an eight-speed automatic, which is new for the 2015 model year. There are five trims: WT, LS, LT, LTZ and High Country. A Z71 off-road package is offered on the LT and LTZ trims. The Silverado 1500 was fully redesigned for the 2014 model year and aside from a few updates, is largely unchanged for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Silverado 1500
- View the best prices for the 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
- Search used Chevrolet Silverado 1500 for sale (40,927 listings)
- See Full Size Pickup Trucks rankings