2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Review
The Chevrolet Silverado has comfort and practicality in a rugged package.
It's hard to find a bad review of the Chevrolet Silverado because most reviewers say it's hard to find a competitor with a better combination of ruggedness, capability and comfort. "There are no bad full-size pickups now, but the Silverado quietly excels in every area," says Car and Driver, adding, "Let's just agree that a perfect truck is hard to find, and we'll drive the Silverado till we find it."
However, the Silverado isn't without competition. The Ford F-150 and Dodge Ram were redesigned in 2009. While the Silverado is as capable as those two, the Ford and Dodge trucks offer some features the Chevy just doesn't have. The F-150 offers features like Ford's SYNC infotainment system and plenty of in-cabin storage. The Dodge not offers available in-cabin storage cubbies, but also storage bins built into the truck bed, as well as a coil-over suspension that some reviewers say provides the smoothest ride in the class. Making the buying decision even tougher is the fact that all three trucks have starting prices within about $1,000 of each other.
Still, many reviewers say that if it's a truck, and not bells and whistles you want, the Silverado is not likely to disappoint. Since its last redesign in 2007, the Silverado 1500 has won a number of awards, including recognition as Car and Driver's "Best Pickup," Motor Trend's "Truck of the Year," and Motor Week's "Driver's Choice." The 2010 model still offers a staggering number of engines, trim levels, bed lengths, suspension configurations and other options. 2009 saw the introduction of a giant 6.2 liter V8 engine, and a six-speed automatic transmission for V8 equipped extended and crew cab models. For 2010, flex fuel capability is now offered on all engines.
Other Trucks to Consider
If you're shopping for a full-size pickup truck, you should also consider the Silverado's platform-mate, the GMC Sierra, which offers similar capability and pricing as the Silverado, but slightly different styling. Take a look at the Dodge Ram and Ford F-150 for all the latest bells and whistles in the truck class -- but after checking them out, you might find the Silverado's classic truck capability outweighs the newest doodads.
Details: Chevrolet Silverado 1500
The Silverado 1500 is available with two-wheel or four-wheel drive; with a short, standard or long bed; with a regular, crew or extended cab, and in Work Truck, LT and LTZ trim levels. Reviewers enjoyed the Silverado's capabilities and comfort regardless of which combination of the award-winning truck they drove. Buyers should appreciate the Silverado's gas mileage, which is among the best in the class.Check out this month's Best Chevrolet Deals to see what incentives are available on the Silverado.
- "The 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is an iconic American vehicle for a reason -- it's one of the best full-size trucks you can buy." -- Edmunds
- "The Silverado doesn't offer fancy luxury packages, but rather provides an outstanding foundation to tackle tough chores." -- Cars.com
- "In short, the Silverado is probably the most honest interpretation of the term "truck" on the market right now. It's designed to move stuff, to give you everything you need and no fluff, something worth noting in a market stuffed with gimmicks and gadgets. " -- Jalopnik
- "A lengthy list of available features, including 4WD that can be used on dry pavement, makes Silverado an excellent choice for anyone shopping large pickups-- Consumer Guide
- "GM's full-size pickups (Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra) play a perennial second fiddle in sales to the Ford F-series, but they continue to be a class act in this highly competitive arena. Although they've been upstaged by newer trucks from Dodge and Ford, they still offer outstanding engine choices and features galore." -- Car and Driver
Next Steps: Chevrolet Silverado 1500
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Chevrolet Silverado 1500 for sale (33,957 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Chevrolet Silverado-1500
- View Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Photos
- See Full Size Pickup Trucks rankings