2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Review
Though the 2012 Chevrolet Silverado is surpassed by its competitors in a few key ways, reviewers say it’s a good truck with plenty of capability and useful features for most shoppers.
Though the 2012 Silverado lags behind its rivals in a few important areas, test drivers say it’s not a bad truck. However, most of its shortcomings come as a result of its age. Its main rivals, the Ford F-150 and Ram 1500, have both been redesigned more recently than the Silverado, and as a result, have better interiors and more capable powertrains.
For instance, though it’s not the best in the class, the Silverado has a substantial maximum towing capacity, and a range of mostly capable engines. Its top-of-the-line trim offers features that are comparable with the best in the class, but its fit and finish isn’t quite up to the standard set by Ram. Although the Silverado feels more nimble than its competition, its ride isn’t as smooth as others.
In this class, though, many buyers’ decisions will come down to the brand. If you’re truly brand-blind, there are plenty of options that are either more capable or less expensive than the Silverado. However, if you’ve got your heart set on a General Motors brand like Chevrolet or GMC, test drivers say you’ll do just fine with the 2012 Chevy Silverado.
Other Trucks to Consider
If you're shopping for a full-size pickup truck, test drivers say that the Ford F-150 and the Ram 1500 both outshine the Silverado and its GMC Sierra 1500 platform-mate. If you prioritize luxurious accommodations and a comfortable ride, you should shop the Ram 1500. Test drivers say its unique suspension gives it one of the smoothest rides of any full-size pickup, and its Laramie Longhorn trim is the most luxurious on the market.
Not only does the Ford F-150 have the highest tow rating of any full-size pickup truck, but it’s available with a Work Solutions in-truck computer system, as well as Ford’s SYNC voice control system. Test drivers also note that it’s comfortable to drive, and its Ecoboost engine gets great fuel economy. While no full-size truck is a bad choice, the Ford F-150 is one of the more high-tech options in its class.
Details: Chevrolet Silverado 1500
The 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 comes in WT (Work Truck), LS, LT, XFE and LTZ trims, and is available in a variety of cab, bed, drive and engine configurations. The XFE is included as a more-efficient V8 alternative, and offers better aerodynamics for better fuel economy. A hybrid model is reviewed separately. The 2012 Silverado sees some trim changes, including the addition of heated and cooled seats to LTZ models and slightly refreshed front grilles on LS and LT trims. The 2012 Chevy Silverado is also available with a Custom Sport Truck package that includes the 5.3-liter V8, six-speed transmission, a heavy-duty towing package and some upgrades to its interior and exterior.
See the full list of 2012 Chevrolet Silverado specifications.
- "GM's full-size pickup trucks (Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra) are aging in the face of newer trucks from Dodge and Ford. Despite this, the GM twins are still compelling because of their excellent engines, tasteful styling, and spacious interiors. Configurable in a zillion different ways, one can be made just the way you want it.” -- Car and Driver
- "The … Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is a worthy choice for a full-size pickup thanks to its wide range of body styles, capable performance and comfortable ride.” -- Edmunds
- "If you need to tailor your pickup truck to your exact requirements, the … Chevrolet Silverado enables you to do just that with a wide variety of configurations, bed lengths and trim levels. The only quibble we have with the Silverado is the baffling array of choices buyers have – multiple trim levels, cab sizes, bed lengths and even instrument panels. Plus, the availability of the Silverado HD further muddies the waters for potential buyers.” -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Chevy Silverado offers more choices in light-duty pickup variations than any other, except perhaps GMC and the Ford F-150. It is among the smoothest riding and quietest of all full-size pickups, and can be counted on to get the job done.” -- New Car Test Drive
Next Steps: Chevrolet Silverado 1500
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Chevrolet Silverado 1500 for sale (35,675 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Chevrolet Silverado 1500
- View Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Photos
- See Full Size Pickup Trucks rankings