2010 Chevrolet Silverado HD Performance
Reviewers say that most buyers should be happy with the Silverado HD's performance, no matter which model or engine they opt for.
- "Chevy provides superior vehicle control and top-notch interior quality to go along with the type of prolific hauling and towing capabilities one expects from such a workhorse truck." -- Edmunds
Acceleration and Power
No matter which engine buyers chose, reviewers say buyers should be happy with the powertrains in the Silverado Heavy Duty trucks. The Silverado HD comes standard with a 6.0 liter V8 gasoline engine mated to a six speed Hydra-Matic automatic transmission or a 6.6 liter V8 Duramax Diesel engine mated to an Allison 1000 series six-speed automatic transmission. The 6.0 liter engine makes 353 horsepower and 380 pound feet of torque at 4200 rpm, while the 6.6 liter makes 363 horsepower and 660 pound feet of torque at 1600 rpm.
The EPA has not rated the fuel economy of either engine.
- "Adequate with either V8 and light loads, but turbodiesel gets the nod for towing and heavy hauling thanks to its massive 660 lb-ft of torque. Smooth, alert automatic transmissions rival those in many cars." -- Consumer Guide
- "Both engines are strong, but if you can swing the price premium, the hefty performance and reasonable fuel economy of the Duramax diesel make it a very tempting choice." -- Edmunds
- "With the 6.0-liter gasoline V8, performance might be described as "almost recreational." The Duramax does what diesels do, pulling a lot of load (up to 13,000 lbs.) in an authoritative manner." -- Kelley Blue Book
Handling and Braking
Reviewers are pleased with the handling and braking performance of both the Chevy Silverado 2500 and 3500.
- "The ride is composed, handling stable and steering accurate with good on-center feel." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Surprisingly pleasant, easy to drive except when maneuvering in tight spaces. Hefty size and weight limit cornering speed, as does expected big-truck body lean, but excellent straightline stability. Brakes furnish stable, relatively short stops with fine pedal feel." -- Consumer Guide
- "Compared with the heavy-duty trucks from Ford and Dodge, the Silverado 2500 distinguishes itself with well-weighted steering that provides the driver with a greater sense of vehicle control." -- Edmunds
- "An overall more livable truck than the one it replaced, delivering an amazingly smooth ride even without a payload" -- Car and Driver
- "Among the smoothest-riding pickups I've driven The only thing that keeps it from being an ideal highway vehicle is steering that is less precise than I like, but that could have been due to the tires on this pickup." -- Orlando Sentinel
Towing and Hauling
Properly configured, 2500 models can tow up to 13,000 pounds and haul 3,929 pounds. Reviewers who tested the towing capabilities of the Silverado HD trucks report positive experiences.
- "Tows heavy loads like they're filled with helium." -- Car and Driver
- "Optional trailer-brake controller is a safety plus for towing." -- Consumer Guide
Next Steps: Chevrolet Silverado HD
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Chevrolet Silverado HD for sale (151 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Chevrolet Silverado-HD
- View Chevrolet Silverado HD Photos
- See Heavy Duty Pickup Trucks rankings