Chevrolet Sonic Review
The 2015 Chevrolet Sonic ranks 6 out of 17 Affordable Subcompact Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Sonic, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Chevrolet Sonic is ranked:
Critics praise the 2015 Chevrolet Sonic for its athletic handling, spacious backseat and abundance of available features.
The 2015 Chevrolet Sonic comes standard with a four-cylinder engine that critics find accelerates adequately, though they add that the available turbocharged four-cylinder engine provides swifter pickup while delivering better fuel efficiency. A manual transmission is standard in the Sonic, and a six-speed automatic is available. According to the EPA, the base 2015 Sonic gets 26/35 mpg city/highway, which is low for the class, while the turbocharged model gets 27/37 mpg. Test drivers report that the Sonic is surprisingly nimble, especially in the sporty RS trim. They also appreciate the Sonic’s responsive steering and comfortable ride.
Some reviewers disapprove of the 2015 Sonic’s hard plastics inside, but most call the interior fresh and appealing. Writers enjoy the gauge cluster design, which incorporates motorcycle stylings with its user-friendly display and large tachometer. They find the rear seat among the roomiest in the class, and they say the driver's seat is designed to make finding a comfortable seating position easy. For a subcompact car, the Sonic sedan has a spacious trunk, while the hatchback's cargo capacity is good for the class. Standard features in the 2015 Chevrolet Sonic include Bluetooth phone connectivity and a new version of the subscription-based OnStar system with a built-in Wi-Fi hot spot. Available features include leatherette upholstery, heated front seats, power windows, cruise control, a rearview camera, a sunroof, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, Bluetooth audio streaming, a USB port, satellite radio and Chevrolet’s MyLink infotainment system, which includes a 7-inch touch screen and smartphone app integration. Reviewers are impressed with the number of high-end features available in the Sonic, especially the touch-screen infotainment system.
- "If you're in the market for an affordable pint-sized champ that won't make you feel second-class for driving it, the Chevrolet Sonic may be just what you're looking for." -- AutoTrader
- "The 2015 Chevy Sonic sedan and hatchback are cute, fun to drive, extremely good on gas, priced to sell, and full of features younger buyers covet (like built-in Wi-Fi)." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Sonic is Chevrolet's entry into the popular subcompact segment. Available as both a sedan and a hatchback, it offers a refined cabin and surprisingly good driving dynamics." -- Left Lane News
- "The 2014 Chevrolet Sonic is one of our top picks for a subcompact sedan or hatchback thanks to its blend of power, comfort and feature availability." -- Edmunds (2014)
Chevrolet Sonic Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
Test drivers report that the Ford Fiesta has very nimble handling for a subcompact car, especially when you choose the powerful ST model. They also note that its interior has a stylish design, premium materials and excellent build quality.
The Honda Fit gets significantly better fuel economy than the Chevrolet Sonic, and reviewers write that it has a very composed ride at highway speeds. They also appreciate its spacious back seat and large, flexible cargo area.
Details: 2015 Chevrolet Sonic
The 2015 Chevrolet Sonic seats five and is available in sedan and hatchback body styles. The Sonic comes in four trims: LS, LT, LTZ and RS. A 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission are standard. A six-speed automatic transmission is available. The Sonic hasn’t been fully redesigned since 2012, and since it sees no major changes for 2015, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Sonic
- View the best prices for the 2015 Chevrolet Sonic
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Chevrolet Sonic
- Search used Chevrolet Sonic for sale (4,058 listings)
- See Affordable Subcompact Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals