2013 Chevrolet Sonic Recalls & Reliability
There have been 2 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINERecall Date: 09/26/2013
- Consequence: If the front fuel tank strap bracket separates, the increased load may lead to the failure of the other tank support. As a result, the fuel tank may come loose from the vehicle causing a fuel leak. A fuel leak, in the presence of an ignition source, may result in a fire.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 13V464000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,558
- Summary: General Motors (GM) is recalling certain model year 2013 and 2014 Chevrolet Sonic vehicles manufactured August 2, 2013, through August 12, 2013. Due to insufficient welds, the front fuel tank strap bracket may separate from the vehicle.
- Remedy: GM will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the front fuel tank strap bracket, and repair it as necessary, free of charge. The recall will begin in early November 2013. Owners may contact GM at 1-800-521-7300. GM's recall campaign number is 13296.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
EXTERIOR LIGHTING:TURN SIGNALRecall Date: 09/17/2012
- Consequence: If the driver is not aware that the turn signal is not functioning and does not have the light repaired, other drivers may not be alerted that the vehicle is turning, increasing the risk of a crash.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 12V454000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 4,716
- Summary: General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2013 Chevrolet Sonic vehicles manufactured from May 29, 2012, through August 29, 2012. When a turn signal lamp fails to operate, the Body Control Module (BCM) in these vehicles does not detect this condition and will not indicate the condition to the driver. Thus, These vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."
- Remedy: GM will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the BCM and the vehicle's key fobs, free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on October 3, 2012. Owners may contact the Chevrolet owner center at 1-866-694-6546.
- Notes: GM's campaign number is 12209. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Our reliability score is based on the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) rating or, if unavailable, the J.D. Power Predicted Reliability rating.
|Predicted Reliability Score
- Among The Best
- Better Than Most
- About Average
- The Rest
Note that warranty coverage that came with the vehicle when it was new may not transfer to subsequent owners. Check with the manufacturer to see if a warranty may still apply.
Next Steps: 2013 Chevrolet Sonic