2014 Chevrolet Spark EV
2014 Chevrolet Spark EV Review
The 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV distinguishes itself with a competitive price, peppy acceleration and a smooth ride, reviewers say, but a long charge time may make it less practical than other EVs.
Equipped with a torque-rich electric motor and a single-speed transmission, automotive journalists say the Chevrolet Spark EV has plenty of power and is particularly peppy off the line. The Spark EV gets an EPA-estimated 128/109 mpg-equivalent, which is slightly better than the estimates of rival electric cars like the Nissan Leaf and Ford Focus Electric. The Spark EV can go about 82 miles on a fully charged battery, which is on par with its closest EV rivals. Auto writers say the Spark EV has agile handling, feels planted around curves and drives much like a gas-only car. However, a few critics note that the regenerative brakes feel numb and it takes a very firm push to get them to respond.
Like most subcompact cars, the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV’s interior is plain and covered in hard plastics, test drivers note. They say there’s plenty of headroom in the front seats and though the rear seats are predictably tight, there’s adequate room for two adults on short trips. The Spark EV comes standard with a six-speaker audio system with satellite radio, a USB port and Chevy’s MyLink infotainment system with a 7-inch touch screen, Bluetooth phone and audio streaming and smartphone compatibility with voice commands. It also comes standard with 10 air bags, which is more than what most cars in the class have. Test drivers like the MyLink display for its crisp graphics and simple menus, but some say the buttons on the touch screen can fail to respond to inputs. Cargo space is small compared to both electric and gas-only rivals.
- "The 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV is an excellent electric vehicle if you're looking to maximize your range for a reasonable price. We like its standard equipment, styling and starting price of around $20,000 after federal tax rebates. Our only gripe is that it isn't available nationally -- though Chevrolet says that will soon change." -- AutoTrader
- "The battery-powered version of Chevy's subcompact Spark mixes 'real car' performance and driving dynamics with a high-utility hatchback package ? and all at a price that makes it relatively affordable to get into a full-fledged electric car." -- Edmunds
- “The 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV 2LT is not just one of the best electric vehicles not named Tesla, but one of the best hatchbacks Chevrolet has built in years." -- Motor Trend
- “Yet here sits the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV, delivering genuine fun in a small and relatively affordable package. No, it can't lay claim to the longest range (Fiat 500e), the lowest price (Smart Fortwo ED) or the best efficiency (Scion iQ EV) in its class, but it's about as much entertainment as you'll find in a mass-market electric car.” -- Autoblog
- "Taking its competitors into consideration, the Spark EV has got it all right: It does everything its competitors couldn't: make us feel we hadn't sacrificed anything in order to have an eco-friendly EV. The only problem? You can't buy one in 48 of the 50 states.” -- Left Lane News
Other Cars to Consider
The Nissan Leaf costs a few thousand dollars more than the Spark EV, but it seats up to five while the Spark EV only accommodates four. The Leaf and Spark EV can travel about the same distance on a fully charged battery, but the Leaf can charge about two hours faster with a 240-volt in-home charging dock.
The Toyota Prius c is a small hybrid that has more cargo space behind the rear seats than the Spark EV and gets an outstanding fuel economy rating among compact cars. Unlike an EV, the Prius c doesn’t require charging and can be driven when the battery is depleted.
Details: 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV
The all-electric 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV seats four and has front-wheel drive. It comes in two trims: 1LT and 2LT. The Spark EV has an electric motor and a single-speed transmission. The gas-only Chevrolet Spark is reviewed separately. The Spark EV is all-new for the 2014 model year.