2014 Chevrolet Spark EV
Chevrolet Spark EV Interior
The automotive press says the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV has a plain interior with hard plastic surfaces, which is typical of the class. Reviewers say the front seats are spacious and the back seat has adequate space for two adults. Test drivers like the Spark EV’s standard infotainment system for its crisp graphics and informative battery gauge, but some say the touch-screen display has finicky controls.
- "While the electric powertrain improves the Spark's power and dynamics, it doesn't help the very Spartan interior. The interior is the same mass of hard plastic as the base car, and the headliner looks and feels cheap. Creature comforts are also few and far between. For example, the steering wheel doesn't telescope, and the seats are short on both contour and adjustments." -- MSN Autos
- "The minimalist design of the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV's interior isn't a bit luxurious, but there's a refreshing simplicity to the dashboard's simple lines, the motorcycle-like instrument cluster and the large central touchscreen." -- Edmunds
- “Style-wise, the Spark aims for hip with a motorcycle-like instrument panel and luminescent dials. Plastic and cloth are the materials of choice in base models, but visual and tactile pop can be gained with colorful trim kits, a 7-inch touchscreen display and faux leather seating.” -- Kelley Blue Book
The Chevrolet Spark EV seats four and comes standard with front bucket seats and a tilt steering wheel. The 2LT trim adds leatherette front seats and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. Test drivers say there’s plenty of headroom up front, though a few note that the seats aren't especially comfortable. As with most subcompact cars, reviewers say the back seat is somewhat tight, though they point out that there’s adequate space for two adults.
- "Thanks to the Spark's tall roof, there's also a general impression of roominess, particularly for those up front. The front seats are comfortable enough for the distance you're able to travel in one sitting and the only real negative is the lack of a telescoping steering wheel." -- Edmunds
- "Two occupants fit just fine front or rear, but those with wide shoulders will feel cramped. The front seats are too flat for best comfort, and rear legroom is tight, especially with taller folks up front." -- MSN Autos
- "The Spark’s cabin is small, but there is enough room for four adults. The rear seats are easier to access and offer more legroom than those of the Fiat 500 and Scion iQ (the Smart Fortwo seats just two)." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Although the Spark EV is small on the outside, like the gas model, it's rather roomy on the interior. … When we tested it, we had two passengers - both over 6'5" - in the front seat and a six-footer in the back. All three fit reasonably well." -- Left Lane News
The 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV comes standard with a six-speaker audio system with satellite radio, a USB port and Chevy’s MyLink infotainment system with a 7-inch touch screen, Bluetooth phone and audio streaming and smartphone compatibility with voice commands. It also comes standard with 10 air bags, which is more than what most cars in the class have.
Test drivers say the Spark EV displays battery power simply and effectively and keeps the driver informed about the EV’s range. They also like the standard MyLink infotainment system's crisp display and straightforward menus. Others appreciate the number of features MyLink offers when connected to a compatible smartphone, including voice-controlled phone operations. However, several reviewers dislike the touch-screen buttons, saying they can be unresponsive to some inputs.
- "The standard MyLink touchscreen infotainment system features sharp graphics and intuitive menus. It also boasts strong smartphone app integration, including Internet radio, text message translation, voice commands and available navigation. Still, like a lot of similar systems, it's not compatible with all smartphones, and the screen sometimes fails to register touch inputs, which can be frustrating." -- Edmunds
- "Aside from the brakes, my only other real complaint centers on the standard MyLink infotainment system's touch buttons. I'll spare you the details, but believe me when I say they don't work well. At all." -- Motor Trend
- "But we really enjoy the Spark EV's ‘confidence gauge’ -- a meter that tells the driver how much charge is left in the battery and how many miles the car can go without recharging. The confidence gauge gives two numbers, a high and a low, along with an estimate of whether your current driving conditions are trending toward the high number or the low one. It's an excellent system that helps eliminate the ‘range anxiety’ commonly associated with electric vehicles." -- AutoTrader
- "We found ourselves monitoring these graphics regularly, and they encouraged us to drive more efficiently. They also show how the electrical system works, eating up power when accelerating hard or driving uphill and earning it back when slowing down or driving downhill." -- MSN Autos
The 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV has 9.6 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats in use and 23.4 cubic feet of space with the seats folded. The Spark EV’s cargo hold is smaller than most gas-only subcompacts’, which is typical of electric cars. However, it’s also smaller than rival electric hatchbacks including the Ford Focus Electric and Nissan Leaf. The rear seats don’t fold completely flat, auto writers note. Still, they point out that there’s a usable amount of space for running errands or hauling groceries, especially with the rear seats folded.
- "The rear seatbacks offer a 60/40 split, but because of battery packaging constraints, the seats don't fold fully flat." -- Edmunds
- "With the seats up, there is 9.6 cubic feet of space in the Spark EV versus 11.4 in the gas-powered Spark. With the seats down, it has 23.4 cubic feet of cargo volume, down from 31.2 in the base car. Nonetheless, that's still enough room for a load of groceries." -- MSN Autos
Next Steps: Chevrolet Spark EV
- View the best prices for the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings