Chevrolet Spark Review
The 2015 Chevrolet Spark ranks 28 out of 41 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Spark, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Chevrolet Spark is ranked:
While it isn’t the most powerful car in the class, the 2015 Chevrolet Spark is a good option for city commuters seeking a modern interior and a low base price, according to critics.
Automotive journalists feel that the 2015 Chevrolet Spark has sufficient power for city driving, but with only 84 horsepower, some say it is not an exciting car to drive. The Spark comes standard with a four-cylinder engine and a five-speed manual transmission that auto writers say makes good use of the engine’s power. The Spark is also available with a continuously variable transmission (CVT). According to the EPA, the 2015 Spark earns 31/39 mpg city/highway with the manual transmission, which is excellent for a subcompact car. Test drivers say the Spark has precise steering and handles well in the city, thanks to its small turning circle. However, some critics argue that the car can feel skittish at highway speeds.
Critics say the modern styling and colorful layout make up for the 2015 Chevrolet Spark’s hard plastic interior materials. They like the motorcycle-inspired instrument panel and easy-to-use infotainment system. Auto writers think that the four-door cabin is spacious and that there is sufficient room for four adults, which separates the Spark from rivals such as the Fiat 500 and the Scion iQ. They say the front seats are comfortable but lack lateral support and that there is a decent amount of cargo room. Standard features include a four-speaker stereo system with an auxiliary input and a new version of the subscription-based OnStar telematics system with 4G LTE and a built-in Wi-Fi hot spot. Available features include a six-speaker stereo system, a USB port, satellite radio, a USB port, Bluetooth, cruise control, keyless entry and Chevy’s voice-activated MyLink infotainment system, which includes smartphone app integration and a 7-inch touch-screen display.
- "Aside from the usual slew of advantages (efficiency, value and ease of parking) and disadvantages (glacial acceleration, chintzy interior trim) associated with a tiny city car, the Spark offers useful high-tech features and a surprisingly roomy interior with space for four adults." -- Left Lane News
- "With its four doors and pair of rear seats, the 2015 Chevrolet Spark is more practical than its slightly smaller rivals." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "They cost more, but Chevy's own Sonic, along with the Ford Fiesta, Kia Rio and Nissan Versa Note are more substantial and appealing to drive. But the 2014 Chevrolet Spark is tops at the bottom line, and it's refined enough to make you proud of your new ride." -- Edmunds (2014)
- "With 10 airbags, a sufficiently solid feel, and a cheap and cheerful interior, the Chevy Spark is plenty of car for used car money." -- Motor Trend (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers find that the Ford Fiesta has powerful turbocharged engine options and agile handling to match, making it one of the most engaging-to-drive hatchbacks in the class. The Fiesta also gets great fuel economy and auto writers think its interior has impressive build quality.
The Kia Rio has a strong base engine, according to test drivers, and offers a comfortable and quiet ride. Automotive journalists also point out that the Rio has one of the longest warranties in the class, as well as a long list of standard and available features.
Details: 2015 Chevrolet Spark
The 2015 Chevrolet Spark is a front-wheel drive hatchback that seats four and is available in three trims: LS, 1LT and 2LT. A 1.2-liter, four-cylinder engine and a five-speed manual transmission are standard. A CVT is available on all trims. The all-electric Chevrolet Spark EV is also available, but only in a few states. The Spark debuted for the 2013 model year and doesn’t see many changes this year, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Spark
- View the best prices for the 2015 Chevrolet Spark
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Chevrolet Spark
- Search used Chevrolet Spark for sale (1,388 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings