Chevrolet Spark Performance
Although the 2014 Chevrolet Spark’s engine doesn’t have a lot of juice, reviewers say it offers sufficient power to propel the car along city streets and highways, as long as you stay clear of the fast lane. Test drivers report that its handling is admirable for a subcompact, the ride is generally smooth and the steering is precise, though the Spark feels less stable at higher speeds. Reviewers say the five-speed manual transmission makes the best use of the Spark’s power. Fuel economy is good for the class.
- "Serious drivers might feel there's something lacking under the hood, but if you're not taxing the powerplant too much, you should be able to get decent fuel economy in the 30 mpg range." -- AutoTrader
- “Thankfully, it doesn't drive like a misshapen van, as it's remarkably agile around turns." -- Edmunds
- "Performance is modest though, let's be clear, in this segment the Spark more than holds its own." -- Road and Track (2013)
- "While one might harbor low expectations for such a low-power engine, we found that it propelled the minicar with ease and was much quieter and smoother than we initially expected." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The Chevrolet Spark comes with a 1.2-liter four-cylinder engine that makes 84 horsepower. A five-speed manual transmission is standard, and a continuously variable transmission (CVT) is available on all trims. With the CVT, the Spark gets an EPA-estimated 30/39 mpg city/highway, which is great for an affordable subcompact car.
The Spark has one of the lowest horsepower ratings in the class. Reviewers say that the Spark has adequate power for most commuters, even if it’s not all that fun behind the wheel. It’s far from a rocket, but the Spark is capable of holding its own on the freeway, they say. Test drivers don’t have much to say about the new CVT, but most prefer the five-speed manual transmission, saying it helps get the most out of the engine’s limited power.
- "While the Spark won't win any drag races, its 4-cylinder engine isn't severely taxed by its roughly 2,200-lb curb weight. The CVT is likely an improvement over the 4-speed, but it's still designed more for fuel economy than outright acceleration. Opt for the 5-speed manual and you'll appreciate having more control over power delivery, as well as the fun of rowing your own gears." -- AutoTrader
- "With only 84 hp -- less than many motorcycles -- it's clear that the 2014 Chevrolet Spark is not intended to excite or inspire. With the five-speed manual transmission, there's adequate acceleration for merging onto freeways. The manual transmission's shift throws are unusually long in order to reduce effort, yet the well-spaced gates make for precise gearchanges." -- Edmunds
- "The 1.2-liter engine's 84 hp proved capable enough' the transmission is programmed to give the car a powerful feel when pulling away from a stop. But you won't be beating any lap-time records with the 2013 Chevrolet Spark." -- AutoWeek (2013)
- "It's no firecracker, but the engine felt sufficient in stop-and-go traffic and during short blasts along the notoriously chaotic Brooklyn-Queens Expressway." -- Road and Track (2013, five-speed manual)
Handling and Braking
Test drivers say the Spark has responsive steering and handling that is decent for the class. Its small size makes it easy to park and maneuver in tight spaces, reviewers say, but they add that like most subcompacts, it’s less composed at highway speeds.
- "Although the Spark is far from a sport sedan, this small Chevy still manages to deliver well-mannered driving characteristics overall." -- Edmunds
- "The steering is quick, precise, and provides better feedback than we've experienced in other small cars with electric steering and, just as important, doesn't get twitchy at higher speeds." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
- "Instead, the Spark remained remarkably composed and quiet over some of the worst roads New York has to offer. In some applications, electric power steering can be something of a mixed bag, it helps increase efficiency but the feedback is overly artificial. Yet the system fitted in the Spark offered a nice blend of feel and accuracy." -- Road and Track (2013)
- "The Spark has a very short wheelbase, so don't expect comfortable highway cruising. If the bulk of your commute is done on busy inner-city streets where tight parking spaces and traffic merges are prevalent, however, then the Spark's diminutive size will outweigh its jumpy ride." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
- "The ride and road holding get help from standard 15-inch aluminum wheels with beefy tires, and the Spark didn't seem as flustered at 70 mph as the Fiat 500 or the Scion iQ." -- AutoWeek (2013)
Next Steps: Chevrolet Spark
- View the best prices for the 2014 Chevrolet Spark
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Chevrolet Spark
- Search used Chevrolet Spark for sale (1,338 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings