Chevrolet Suburban Review
The 2014 Chevrolet Suburban ranks 2 out of 8 Affordable Large SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Suburban, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Chevrolet Suburban is ranked:
In its final model year before a redesign, test drivers say the 2014 Chevrolet Suburban is a compelling large SUV with a strong engine, refined handling and spacious interior.
The Chevrolet Suburban is powered by a V8 engine that reviewers say provides plenty of power. The engine is coupled with a six-speed automatic transmission that is praised for its smooth, timely shifts. Fuel economy for either rear- or four-wheel drive models is an EPA-estimated 15/21 mpg city/highway, which is a bit better than many rivals’ fuel economy. Some test drivers say that despite its size, the Suburban isn't too difficult to maneuver in tight spaces. They also say that overall, the Suburban delivers a comfortable, refined ride, though its size and weight mean that the Suburban isn’t exactly nimble.
Reviewers say that while the Suburban's interior looks dated compared to its more recently-updated rivals, it is well-constructed, though some dislike the widespread use of hard plastics. The Suburban seats up to nine and reviewers agree that the seats in all rows offer plenty of space and comfort. Testers also note that the Suburban offers among the most cargo capacity in the class. However, most complain that in order to maximize the cargo space, the third-row seats must be removed. Many rivals have third rows that simply fold into the floor. Test drivers agree that the Suburban’s climate and audio system controls are straightforward, and that the available navigation system is easy to use. Standard equipment includes a six-speaker stereo system, Bluetooth, satellite radio, a USB port, tri-zone climate control, a backup camera and rear parking sensors. Optional features include blind-zone alert, a power sunroof, a rear-seat entertainment system, tri-zone automatic climate control and a nine- or 10-speaker Bose stereo system.
- "As one of the biggest SUVs on the market, Suburban's extra-large dimensions make it attractive to shoppers who need serious passenger and cargo hauling capacity. It's let down by a 3rd-row seat that's uncomfortable to sit on and very difficult to remove if you want to maximize your cargo space. Still, if you need the space and versatility such a large vehicle can provide, Suburban remains an excellent choice." -- Consumer Guide
- "Ultimately it comes down to honestly assessing whether you really need a big truck's passenger, cargo and towing capacities enough to cancel out the negatives -- mainly poor fuel economy and ponderous handling -- that come with driving such a traditional large SUV. If the answer is yes, the 2013 Chevy Suburban is definitely worthy of your consideration." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "The Suburban has long earned its stripes as an SUV that can carry lots of people and haul lots of stuff. The 2013 Chevy Suburban continues that mission while offering a rugged image and many creature comforts." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Chevrolet Tahoe can't haul quite as much cargo, and it doesn't have quite as much rear passenger space. However, it can tow more, and its shorter wheelbase makes it a bit easier to maneuver in tight spaces.
The Toyota Sequoia is praised for its powerful engine and refined ride, as well as its easy maneuverability for a large SUV. Additionally, the Sequoia's third row of seats simply folds flat, which may make it easier to maximize cargo space.
Details: 2014 Chevrolet Suburban
The 2014 Chevrolet Suburban seats up to nine. Rear-wheel drive is standard and four-wheel drive is optional. Power comes from a 5.3-liter V8 engine, which is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. There are three trim levels: LS, LT an LTZ. The Suburban was last redesigned for the 2007 model year and has undergone few changes since then, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2007 to 2014.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Suburban
- View the best prices for the 2014 Chevrolet Suburban
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Chevrolet Suburban
- Search used Chevrolet Suburban for sale (6,098 listings)
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings