Chevrolet Tahoe Performance
The 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe earns reviewer praise for its composed handling, accurate steering and comfortable ride. Test drivers add that the Tahoe offers brisk acceleration and say its transmission is smooth and makes the most of the Tahoe's available power. Others like that for a vehicle of its size, driving the Tahoe is an effortless ordeal.
- "The 2015 Chevy Tahoe rides rather well, with a quiet confidence on rough roads that feels like at least a match for any of its competitors." -- Autoblog
- "The 2015 Chevy Tahoe is still a big, heavy full-size SUV, yet Chevy has managed to infuse the new Tahoe with a smoother ride, sharper steering, and overall better driving dynamics than you might expect from such a large vehicle." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Despite their size, all versions of these SUVs are surprisingly easy to drive." -- Motor Trend
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe is powered by a 355-horsepower, 5.3-liter V8 engine. A six-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive are standard. Four-wheel drive is available. According to the EPA, the Tahoe achieves 16/23 mpg city/highway with two-wheel drive, which is fairly good for the class. Chevrolet says the Tahoe can tow up to 8,300 pounds.
The Tahoe delivers plenty of power for around-town or highway driving, reviewers say. They agree that both the engine and transmission are generally smooth and hushed.
- "And the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe's 5.3-liter V8 engine is certainly beefy enough to pull around a full complement of passengers and gear. It's also plenty smooth and refined. The standard six-speed automatic transmission gets the most out of the V8, with proper gear ratios both for hearty acceleration and quiet cruising." -- Edmunds
- "Both engines are quiet and smooth unless you punch it. And then there's plenty of muscle on tap." -- Popular Mechanics
- "… acceleration - at least with just two people aboard - is more than adequate in all." -- Consumer Guide
- "While driving around Lake Tahoe for three days, there was never a want or need for more power. All of the test vehicles handled the hills well, whether going up or down." -- Motor Trend
Handling and Braking
Most reviewers tested Tahoe models in the top LTZ trim, which comes standard with a magnetic ride control suspension. Test drivers agree that the system does a good job of keeping the Tahoe's ride comfortable over rough roads, though some caution that models fitted with larger wheels don't ride as comfortably. They're also pleased with the Tahoe's precise, responsive steering and sharp, confidence-inspiring handling. The 2015 Tahoe is also easy to navigate, especially for a vehicle of its size, according to automotive writers.
- "With its standard adaptive suspension, the LTZ feels secure when going around turns and it soaks up irregular pavement with ease. We cannot recommend the optional 22-inch wheels, however, because their mass (combined with their tires' smaller sidewalls) adversely affects ride quality." -- Edmunds
- "On the road, we found that the big Tahoe handled remarkably well. The steering is precise and has just enough assist to allow easy maneuvers without negating feedback." -- AutoTrader
- "Beyond cosmetic upgrades, GM's done superb work on handling. These are still very large vehicles, but they're a piece of cake to pilot." -- Popular Mechanics
- "The electric power steering is smooth. It's easy to spin the steering wheel with one hand and there's a nice snap back to center. There's a certain attitude that comes with driving these big vehicles, and the steering needs to have a good balance between ease and feedback. GM nailed it. The ride for all of the vehicles was impeccable, whether in two-wheel-drive, four-wheel-drive, or auto, which acts like an all-wheel-drive system by monitoring the vehicle's performance and sending power where it's needed." -- Motor Trend
Next Steps: Chevrolet Tahoe
- View the best prices for the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe
- Search used Chevrolet Tahoe for sale (11,766 listings)
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings