Chevrolet Tahoe Review
The 2014 Chevrolet Tahoe ranks 1 out of 8 Affordable Large SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Tahoe, as well as reliability and safety data.
Reviewers agree that the 2014 Chevrolet Tahoe trumps its rivals with a refined powertrain, comfortable ride and straightforward interior. Because it has the best combination of positive reviews, price and long-term ownership costs in its class, we named the 2014 Chevrolet Tahoe the Best Large SUV for the Money. The Tahoe is also our 2014 Best Large SUV for Families.
The 2014 Chevy Tahoe is powered by a V8 engine that impresses reviewers with its ample power and smooth operation. They also like its smooth-shifting six-speed automatic transmission. At 15/21 mpg city/highway with either two- or four-wheel drive, the Tahoe has one of the highest fuel economy estimates in the class. Reviewers say the Tahoe handles fairly well for its size, and delivers a comfortable ride. Critics also say that the Tahoe has a small turning radius, which makes it easy to maneuver through tight spaces. They say this is a great thing for a large SUV, as reviewers typically find them difficult to park in tight spots and move through crowded areas easily.
The Tahoe was last redesigned in 2007, and some reviewers say that its interior design is beginning to show its age, and has more hard plastics than they’d like. Still, they say the interior materials look nice and don’t seem out of place given the Tahoe’s rugged persona. Most critics wish the Tahoe’s third row of seats folded flat to expand cargo space, rather than needing to be removed. Rivals such as the Ford Expedition have a third row that simply folds forward. Standard features on the Tahoe include a six-speaker stereo, a USB port, satellite radio, Bluetooth phone connectivity, tri-zone climate control, a backup camera and rear parking sensors. Optional features include a rear-seat entertainment system, automatic tri-zone climate control and a nine- or 10-speaker Bose stereo. Reviewers like that the Tahoe’s navigation, climate and stereo controls are all logically presented and easy to use.
- "The Chevrolet Tahoe's basic design dates back to 2007, and it's starting to show its age in some respects. Though it lags its rivals in 3rd-row seat accommodations and cargo flexibility, Tahoe's powertrain performance, ergonomics, and overall refinement are still impressive for its class. For those shoppers who truly need the capabilities of a traditional truck-based large SUV, Tahoe remains a fine choice." -- Consumer Guide
- "It is not by accident that Chevy's Tahoe is this country's all-time favorite full-size SUV. For what it is and what it does, it does those things very well. Need to carry up to nine people? Tow a good-sized trailer? Deal with bad weather or lousy roads? Take a long trip in easy comfort and bring all your stuff with you? The Tahoe will do all of that and more, and has maintained a position at the head of a class that includes the Ford Expedition, Toyota Sequoia and Nissan Armada. In addition, it can travel more than 20 miles down the highway on a gallon of gas." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "A smaller sibling to the massive Suburban, the Tahoe manages to combine broad-shouldered toughness with a refined demeanor, making it a good choice for those who take long road trips with their toys in tow." -- Edmunds (2013)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Chevrolet Suburban offers more third-row passenger and cargo space, and it achieves the same fuel economy as the Tahoe. The Suburban can also tow more than the Tahoe if you opt for the three-quarter-ton model.
The Ford Expedition impresses reviewers with its well-designed interior and third-row seats that simply fold down to increase cargo capacity. The Expedition’s maximum tow rating of 9,200 pounds is also significantly higher than the Tahoe’s maximum tow rating.
Details: 2014 Chevrolet Tahoe
The 2014 Chevrolet Tahoe seats up to nine and is available with either rear- or four-wheel drive. A 5.3-liter V8 and six-speed automatic transmission are standard on all models. The Tahoe comes in three trims: LS, LT and LTZ. The Tahoe is largely unchanged for 2014. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2007 through 2014.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Tahoe
- View the best prices for the 2014 Chevrolet Tahoe
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Chevrolet Tahoe
- Search used Chevrolet Tahoe for sale (10,780 listings)
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings