Chevrolet Tahoe Review
The 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe ranks 1 out of 8 Affordable Large SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 70 published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Tahoe, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe offers excellent towing capacity, seating for up to nine, a smooth ride and a well-equipped interior.
The 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe has a 5.3-liter V8 engine that test drivers say moves the large SUV smoothly down the highway. Its tight (for a large SUV) turning radius also makes it more manageable for city driving than most in its class. The V8 engine is matched to a six-speed automatic transmission and comes with either two- or four-wheel drive. While it’s far from being an exciting vehicle to drive, reviewers call the Tahoe’s handling car-like, which is high praise for a heavy, truck-based SUV. Auto writers also say it has strong brakes. The Tahoe achieves 15/21 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class.
The Chevrolet Tahoe is the 2013 Best Large SUV for the Money because it has the best combination of ownership costs and positive reviews in its class.
Reviewers think the Tahoe’s interior is well-appointed and well-designed with fit and finish that are on par for the segment. They also feel that controls are intuitive and easy to use, even with the optional touch-screen navigation system. The Tahoe can seat up to nine, but critics say that the third row is uncomfortable, though this is a common complaint with large SUVs. The Tahoe comes with standard Bluetooth, satellite radio and a USB port. Available features include a nine-speaker Bose audio system, heated and cooled leather front seats and a rearview camera. Total cargo space is good for the class, but test drivers dislike the cumbersome task of removing the third-row seats to access the full cargo space.
- "Properly equipped, the brawny body-on-frame vehicle, based on a truck-type construction, can seat up to nine passengers, tow 8,500 pounds and manage well off-road. That keeps the Tahoe at the head of its class, which includes the Ford Expedition, Toyota Sequoia and Nissan Armada." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Tahoe (and by extension, the GMC Yukon) shines for powertrain performance, ergonomics, and overall refinement. It lags its rivals in 3rd-row seat accommodations and cargo flexibility. Still, its positive attributes far outweigh those negatives." -- Consumer Guide
- "Despite the 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe's advancing age, it remains fully capable of completing towing tasks while transporting up to nine people in comfort." -- Cars.com (2012)
- "The 2012 Chevy Tahoe deserves strong consideration when shopping for a large, traditional SUV, thanks to its comfortable cabin, road manners and impressive towing capacity. But for pure passenger use, a large crossover might work out better." -- Edmunds (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
If you don’t need to do heavy-duty towing, you may want to consider a crossover, like the Chevrolet Traverse. The Traverse offers seating for up to eight and reviewers say that the interior is spacious and the third row is comfortable for adults. In addition, the Traverse has more overall cargo space than the Tahoe, at 116.4 cubic feet with the second and third rows folded. Also, critics feel that the Traverse has car-like handling and good brakes. It also gets better fuel economy.
With its truck-like towing capacity and smooth ride, the Ford Expedition is another large SUV to consider. While the Expedition can only seat eight, reviewers say the third row is slightly more adult-friendly than the Tahoe's. The Expedition has comparable cargo space at 108.3 cubic feet behind the first row and critics praise the versatile third row, which they say folds easily into the floor. The Tahoe gets slightly better fuel economy ratings than the Expedition.
Details: 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe
The 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe is available in three trims: LS, LT and LTZ. Chevrolet also offers a Tahoe Hybrid, which is reviewed separately. The Tahoe has a 5.3-liter V8 engine mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. It comes in two- or four-wheel drive. The Tahoe can seat up to nine passengers in three rows. Since the Tahoe hasn’t changed much since its redesign in 2007, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Tahoe
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Chevrolet Tahoe
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Chevrolet Tahoe for sale (8,832 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Chevrolet Tahoe
- See what others paid for the 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe
- View Chevrolet Tahoe Photos
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings