Chevrolet Traverse Review
The 2016 Chevrolet Traverse ranks 3 out of 13 Affordable Large SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Traverse, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2016 Chevrolet Traverse is ranked:
Reviewers praise the 2016 Chevrolet Traverse for its comfortable, roomy interior, car-like handling and generous cargo space.
The 2016 Chevrolet Traverse gets adequate power from its V6 engine, according to automotive writers, though some say acceleration is lacking and the six-speed automatic transmission is reluctant to downshift at times. The Traverse gets an EPA-estimated 17/24 mpg city/highway, which is just below average for the class. Reviewers say that the Traverse has a car-like ride and smooth and stable handling.[ Ready to buy? Get the best local price on a 2016 Chevrolet Traverse ]
The 2016 Traverse earns praise from automotive journalists for its roomy interior and its surprisingly upscale feel, especially in higher trims. Test drivers say the first- and second-row seats are spacious and comfortable, although opinions are split about whether adults can comfortably fit in the third row. The Traverse offers above-average cargo space for the class. Standard features in the Traverse include Bluetooth, satellite radio, a USB port, a 6.5-inch touch-screen audio system and a rearview camera. Available features include a 10-speaker Bose audio system, a rear-seat entertainment system, tri-zone automatic climate control, navigation, blind spot monitoring, forward collision alert, a rear cross traffic alert, lane departure warning and Chevy's MyLink infotainment system with Siri Eyes Free and text message support. Critics appreciate the long list of standard and available features, but they say that the infotainment system controls occasionally respond slowly.
- "Crossovers continue to gain popularity thanks to impressive interior room, strong fuel economy and a more carlike ride than their truck-based SUV counterparts. All those traits are certainly true of the 2016 Chevrolet Traverse, which is a large and capable 3-row crossover with a lot of functionality and a more modern approach to family motoring." -- AutoTrader
- "A decade ago, if you wanted a vehicle with eight seats and a giant cargo bay, your choices were either a minivan or an SUV big enough to require its own ZIP code. Today, though, there are several large crossover SUVs that give you generous interior space in a reasonably sized package, and the 2016 Chevrolet Traverse remains one of our favorites." -- Edmunds
- "The 2016 Chevrolet Traverse 3-row crossover SUV blends the size, higher ride height and family-hauling abilities of a traditional SUV like the Chevy Tahoe with the ride quality and better fuel economy of a full-size sedan. The Traverse and rivals like the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander and Ford Explorer have struck a chord with buyers seeking a big vehicle but who don't need the towing capacity or off-road capability of a truck-based SUV. Just as appealing for some, it's not a minivan. The Traverse crossover SUV remains a good value and stands out with its larger size and ability to seat up to eight passengers, but trails fresher competitors that boast more advanced safety features and better fuel economy." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Chevrolet Traverse is a full-size, eight-passenger crossover that lets buyers enjoy van-like interior space while avoiding the minivan stigma with SUV-themed styling." -- Left Lane News (2015)
- "After the superb re-styling and other upgrades, we don't hesitate to call it a winner and won't be surprised if this excellent vehicle, eyes glinting afresh, helps itself to an even greater share of the large crossover segment." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
Chevrolet Traverse Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
The Dodge Durango earns praise from test drivers for its deft handling and optional V8 engine, which they say provides tremendous power and makes the Durango perfect for towing. They add that the Durango has a handsome interior and an easy-to-use infotainment system.
Critics praise the Honda Pilot for its top-notch interior materials, comfortable ride and quiet cabin. Reviewers report that from the driver’s perspective, the Pilot does not feel like the giant eight-passenger SUV that it is. The Pilot also gets above-average fuel economy for the class.
Details: 2016 Chevrolet Traverse
The 2016 Chevrolet Traverse has seating for up to eight people and comes standard with a 3.6-liter V6 engine, a six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional. The Traverse LS, 1LT, 2LT and LTZ trims are available. The Traverse was refreshed for the 2013 model year, but is otherwise largely unchanged since it debuted for the 2009 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 to 2016 model years.
Research Prices: 2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Over 50,000 car shoppers have purchased a car through the U.S. News Best Price Program. Our pricing beat the national average 86% of the time with shoppers receiving average savings of $3,221 off MSRP across vehicles. See what others paid for the Chevrolet Traverse and get upfront pricing to make sure you don't overpay. Learn More »
Next Steps: Chevrolet Traverse
- View the best prices for the 2016 Chevrolet Traverse
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Chevrolet Traverse
- Search used Chevrolet Traverse for sale (11,317 listings)
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals