Chevrolet Traverse Review
The 2014 Chevrolet Traverse ranks 5 out of 21 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Traverse, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Chevrolet Traverse is ranked:
Reviewers say that the 2014 Chevrolet Traverse trumps lower-ranking SUVs with its spacious interior, ample cargo space, refined ride and easy maneuverability.
The 2014 Traverse is powered by a V6 engine that most reviewers say makes adequate power. However, some say that the Traverse’s engine is occasionally overtaxed by the SUV's heft. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and reviewers say it shifts smoothly, but also that it is occasionally slow to downshift when more power is needed. Fuel economy is rated at up to an EPA-estimated 17/24 mpg, which is typical for the class. Reviewers are pleased with the Traverse's comfortable ride, surprisingly nimble handling and easy maneuverability in tight spaces. Additionally, the Traverse's steering earns praise for its accuracy.
Most reviewers like the Traverse's cabin, saying it is one of the most spacious in the class. While some critics note that the Traverse doesn't feel or look especially upscale, most of the materials seem to be fairly high-quality and soft to the touch. There is seating for up to eight people, and reviewers say the front seats are plenty comfortable. The second row is considered spacious, but some reviewers note that the second-row seats are mounted a bit low. Test drivers also say that the Traverse’s third row is best left to kids, but that’s not an unusual complaint for the class. Cargo space is among the best of any SUV on the market. Notable standard features include a backup camera, Bluetooth, HD Radio and satellite radio. Reviewers generally like the Traverse's optional MyLink infotainment system, saying it is easy to use and has a nice display. Other optional features include a Bose stereo, a rear-seat entertainment system, forward collision alert and lane departure warning.
- "But with its handsome styling, enormous cabin and impressive day-to-day functionality, the 2014 Chevrolet Traverse more than holds its own in the current population of family-friendly crossovers." -- Edmunds
- "As fuel prices fluctuate and more people downsize, a stream of buyers are shying away from thirsty, truck-based SUVs as the family hauler of choice. This has spawned a hot market for crossover sport-utility vehicles, which have room for growing families like a traditional SUV, but offer a sedan-like ride and better fuel-efficiency. The poster child for this segment could easily be the Chevrolet Traverse." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "If you're in the market for a largish people-hauler and can't stomach a minivan, the Traverse is worth a look." -- AutoWeek (2013)
- "After the superb re-styling and other upgrades, we don't hesitate to call it a winner and won't be surprised if this excellent vehicle, eyes glinting afresh, helps itself to an even greater share of the large crossover segment." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
Other SUVs to Consider
If you're happy with the Traverse's ride, handling and cargo space but want something a bit nicer on the inside, consider the Buick Enclave, which is the Traverse’s corporate cousin. Reviewers praise the Enclave for its opulent interior, as well as the traits that make the Traverse a good choice, like its refined ride and spacious interior.
Reviewers say the Toyota Highlander has a very comfortable ride, as well as a solidly-built interior. It doesn’t have as much cargo space as the Traverse, but with a four-cylinder engine, it gets one of the best fuel economy ratings in the class.
Details: 2014 Chevrolet Traverse
The 2014 Chevrolet Traverse seats up to eight and comes standard with front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional. A 3.6-liter V6 and six-speed automatic transmission are standard on all models. The Traverse comes in four trims: LS, 1LT, 2LT and LTZ. The Traverse was refreshed last year, and sees few changes since its introduction for the 2009 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 to 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Traverse
- View the best prices for the 2014 Chevrolet Traverse
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Chevrolet Traverse
- Search used Chevrolet Traverse for sale (7,508 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings