2014 Chevrolet Traverse Performance
The 2014 Chevrolet Traverse earns praise for delivering a comfortable, refined ride and being fairly easy to maneuver in close quarters.
- "Even with its formidable and growing competition, the Chevy Traverse is one of our favorite crossover SUVs to drive." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The other traditional Lambda strengths of good road noise insulation, a smooth ride, and generous three-row room carry over." -- Truck Trend (2013)
- "The 2013 Chevrolet Traverse clearly is a comfortable city cruiser." -- Road and Track (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The Traverse is powered by a 3.6-liter V6 engine that produces 281 horsepower on the LS and LT models. LTZ models feature a dual exhaust system that boosts horsepower to 288. The engine is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. The Traverse gets up to an EPA-rated 17/24 mpg city/highway, which is typical for the class.
Reviewers say that the Traverse's engine has to work fairly hard to get the heavy SUV moving. Additionally, one critic says that while the transmission shifts smoothly, it doesn't downshift quickly enough when more power is needed.
- "The V6 engine provides adequate performance, but lacks punch during authoritative passing maneuvers. It can also sound harsh and unrefined under hard acceleration -- an indication of the considerable mass (nearly 5,000 pounds with all-wheel drive) it's tasked to motivate. In addition, the automatic transmission can be slow to react when a quick downshift is needed, though its gearchanges are at least smooth." -- Edmunds
- "Its V6 engine is smooth and strong, and easily gets the vehicle up to speed in both front-wheel-drive (FWD) and all-wheel-drive (AWD) form." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Because the Traverse weighs nearly two and a half tons, it never threatens to lift off the pavement and take flight, but on the other hand it has adequate power and reasonable throttle response." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
- "Despite its 281 hp, the V-6 still has to do a good amount of work to get the Traverse's 2.5 tons moving. Strained isn't exactly the right word, as it gets up to speed quickly enough, but it relies on revs more than you might expect for a vehicle of this class." -- Truck Trend (2013)
Handling and Braking
The Traverse is one of the larger SUVs in the class, but most test drivers say that the Traverse has a comfortable ride and exhibits fairly nimble handling. Some say that it is surprisingly easy to maneuver in tight spaces as well, and the steering earns praise for its accuracy.
- "The Traverse rides on a car-like unibody platform that it shares with the GMC Acadia and the Buick Enclave. These underpinnings give the Traverse more nimble handling dynamics than the automaker's old-school Tahoe SUV, but they also limit its off-road potential to traversing gravel roads." -- Left Lane News
- "The Traverse is larger than its competitors but doesn't feel bloated or overwhelming on the road." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Driven around turns, this big crossover SUV feels more secure and planted than you would expect, and it maneuvers well in tight parking lots. The steering is reasonably accurate, though the dainty thin-rimmed steering wheel feels a little out of character in such a large vehicle." -- Edmunds
- "It proved surprisingly nimble with a load of four passengers and luggage on the back roads outside San Francisco on which we drove it, handling the turns without undue drama." -- Truck Trend (2013)
- "Driving the Traverse on a tight winding road reminds you that this is a vehicle that weighs nearly two tons, and mass is a difficult to hide. On the flip side though, driving the Traverse in the city reminds you of what a comfortable ride it provides for the everyday commute, and this has even been improved upon for 2013." -- Road and Track (2013)
Next Steps: Chevrolet Traverse
- View the best prices for the 2014 Chevrolet Traverse
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Chevrolet Traverse
- Search used Chevrolet Traverse for sale (11,317 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings