Chevrolet Traverse Performance
Test drivers agree that the 2015 Chevrolet Traverse has a soft, compliant ride and that its engine produces satisfactory power in most situations.
- "The rest of the Traverse remains the same, which is just fine by us. It provides an impressively smooth and comfortable ride while still being secure around turns, and its V6 engine is reasonably powerful and fuel-efficient." -- Edmunds
- "Even in the face of newer competition, the 2015 Chevy Traverse remains one of our favorite crossover SUVs to drive and live with. In fact, it was among our 12 Best Family Cars of 2014." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2013 Chevrolet Traverse clearly is a comfortable city cruiser." -- Road and Track (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Chevy Traverse is powered by a 3.6-liter V6 engine that generates 281 horsepower (288 on models with dual exhaust system). A six-speed automatic transmission is standard. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 17/24 mpg city/highway, which is just slightly low compared to that of similarly equipped rivals.
Some reviewers write that the Traverse typically has plenty of power. Others report that its V6 is generally strong enough for most situations, but feels labored when passing slower-moving vehicles. Additionally, a few mention that the transmission can be reluctant to downshift when more power is needed.
- "Its 280-plus horsepower V6 is smooth and strong, and easily gets Chevy's big crossover SUV up to speed in both front-wheel-drive (FWD) and all-wheel-drive (AWD) form." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 3.6-liter V6 engine is fine for most day-to-day driving conditions, but feels a little anemic when maximum acceleration is called for, such as attempting to pass slower traffic on a two-lane road. The six-speed automatic transmission generally delivers smooth gearchanges, but can feel a little sluggish when you need a quick downshift in situations like getting up to speed on freeway on-ramps." -- Edmunds
- "Despite its 281 hp, the V-6 still has to do a good amount of work to get the Traverse's 2.5 tons moving. Strained isn't exactly the right word, as it gets up to speed quickly enough, but it relies on revs more than you might expect for a vehicle of this class." -- Truck Trend (2013)
- "Because the Traverse weighs nearly two and a half tons, it never threatens to lift off the pavement and take flight, but on the other hand it has adequate power and reasonable throttle response." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
Handling and Braking
Most test drivers agree that the Traverse has competent handling and a comfortable, car-like ride, though a few critics mention that rivals like the Mazda CX-9 feel more agile. Some also think that the Traverse is pretty easy to maneuver for its size.
- "The Traverse is larger than its competitors, and while it's not agile like a Mazda CX-9, it doesn't feel overwhelming on the highway." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Traverse rides on a car-like unibody platform that it shares with the GMC Acadia and the Buick Enclave. These underpinnings give the Traverse more nimble handling dynamics than the automaker's old-school Tahoe SUV, but they also limit its off-road potential to traversing gravel roads." -- Left Lane News
- "The 2015 Chevrolet Traverse displays exactly the kind of road manners you'd want in a large, three-row family crossover. The ride quality is comfortable, composed and quiet on the highway, providing an assuredness that drivers switching from bigger truck-based SUVs will appreciate. At the same time, the suspension delivers sure handling and surprisingly good maneuverability for such a large vehicle, although smaller rivals are more responsive to drive on twisting roads or in tight urban spaces." -- Edmunds
- "Driving the Traverse on a tight winding road reminds you that this is a vehicle that weighs nearly two tons, and mass is a difficult to hide. On the flip side though, driving the Traverse in the city reminds you of what a comfortable ride it provides for the everyday commute, and this has even been improved upon for 2013." -- Road and Track (2013)
Next Steps: Chevrolet Traverse
- View the best prices for the 2015 Chevrolet Traverse
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Chevrolet Traverse
- Search used Chevrolet Traverse for sale (11,317 listings)
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings