Chevrolet Traverse Review
The 2015 Chevrolet Traverse ranks 7 out of 23 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Traverse, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Chevrolet Traverse is ranked:
Reviewers are impressed with the 2015 Chevrolet Traverse's incredibly spacious interior, which features an abundance of cargo space and an adult-friendly third row.
Some reviewers say that the 2015 Chevy Traverse’s V6 engine generally has plenty of power, though others say it feels sluggish when attempting to pass slower traffic. A few also mention that the Traverse’s six-speed automatic transmission could be quicker to downshift when more power is needed. At 17/24 mpg city/highway, the Traverse's fuel economy is just a bit lower than that of similar rivals. Test drivers mention that the Traverse has a comfortable, balanced ride, and most agree that it isn't especially sporty but nonetheless offers stable handling.
Reviewers report that the 2015 Traverse's cabin is incredibly spacious and constructed with top-notch materials, adding that higher trims appear quite upscale. The Traverse garners praise for its adult-friendly third row and outstanding cargo space for the class. Standard features on the Traverse include a rearview camera, a USB port, Bluetooth phone connectivity and a touch-screen audio system with a 6.5-inch display. Navigation, the MyLink infotainment system (which includes Bluetooth audio streaming and Siri Eyes Free iPhone integration), a 10-speaker Bose stereo system, a rear-seat entertainment system, leather seats, forward collision warning, lane departure warning and blind spot monitoring are optional. Some critics complain that the display screen on the center stack is mounted a bit too low and others mention that the controls for the MyLink system are occasionally slow to respond.
- "Whether it's shuttling half the soccer team to an away game, bringing home oversize flea market finds or doing a little of both, large crossover SUVs give you the flexibility that few other vehicles provide. And among these modern beasts of burden, the 2015 Chevrolet Traverse stands out as one of the best available, thanks to its expansive interior space, smooth ride and top crash test scores." -- Edmunds
- "The Chevrolet Traverse is a full-size, eight-passenger crossover that lets buyers enjoy van-like interior space while avoiding the minivan stigma with SUV-themed styling." -- Left Lane News
- "As what's dubbed a ‘crossover SUV,’ the 2015 Chevrolet Traverse blends the roominess and high-riding outward visibility of a traditional SUV with the compliant road manners of a large sedan. … Originally introduced in 2009, the Chevy Traverse still offers a lot of vehicle for the money, but is starting to show its age amid fresher 3-row competitors like the Toyota Highlander, Nissan Pathfinder and Kia Sorento." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "After the superb re-styling and other upgrades, we don't hesitate to call it a winner and won't be surprised if this excellent vehicle, eyes glinting afresh, helps itself to an even greater share of the large crossover segment." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
Other SUVs to Consider
Reviewers write that the Dodge Durango's standard V6 engine delivers ample power, and many agree that models with the available V8 accelerate with vigor. The Durango also earns praise for its available Uconnect infotainment system, which critics say is very easy to use.
Test drivers agree that the Mazda CX-9 is one of the most fun-to-drive entries in the segment, with athletic handling, responsive steering and ample engine power. It also offers a lot of cargo space for the class.
Details: 2015 Chevrolet Traverse
The 2015 Chevrolet Traverse seats up to eight and comes standard with front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional. A 3.6-liter V6 and six-speed automatic transmission are standard on all models. The Traverse comes in four trims: LS, 1LT, 2LT and LTZ. The Traverse was refreshed for the 2013 model year, but is otherwise largely unchanged since it debuted for the 2009 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Traverse
- View the best prices for the 2015 Chevrolet Traverse
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Chevrolet Traverse
- Search used Chevrolet Traverse for sale (16,701 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings