Chevrolet Volt Review
The 2015 Chevrolet Volt ranks 15 out of 42 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Chevrolet Volt, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Chevrolet Volt is ranked:
The 2015 Chevrolet Volt disappoints reviewers with its undersized cargo area and cramped rear seats, but they like its strong electric powertrain.
Two electric motors, and a four-cylinder engine that serves as a generator when the battery is drained, power the 2015 Chevrolet Volt. Whether accelerating from a stop or to pass on the highway, critics say the Volt's electric motors provide plenty of power. They appreciate how quietly the Volt runs in EV mode and how smoothly it transitions between gas and electric power. According to the EPA, the 2015 Chevy Volt has a 38-mile electric-only range, which is excellent for a plug-in hybrid, and achieves 98 mpg-equivalent when running solely on electric power. Once the gas engine kicks in, the Volt gets 35/40 mpg city/highway, which is low for a plug-in hybrid. Test drivers note that the Volt has surprisingly agile handling for a hybrid, with good cornering grip and well-weighted steering. They say the regenerative brakes are strong, but some note that they feel a bit grabby until you get used to them.
The 2015 Volt has a modern cabin design and is constructed with premium interior materials, according to test drivers. Still, some report that the four-seat Volt has an undersized trunk and tiny back seat. Moreover, automotive journalists find the Volt's touch-sensitive audio and climate buttons are poorly distributed, too small and easy to accidently press. Standard features in the 2015 Chevrolet Volt include a new 4G Wi-Fi hot spot, as well as automatic climate control, push-button start, remote start, Bluetooth, a six-speaker audio system, satellite radio, a USB port and Chevrolet’s voice-activated MyLink infotainment system, which includes a 7-inch touch screen and smartphone integration. Available features include leather upholstery, heated front seats, navigation, a rearview camera, front and rear parking sensors, a seven-speaker Bose audio system, lane departure warning and forward collision alert.
- "The 2015 Chevy Volt has the best all-electric range of any plug-in hybrid while its gasoline engine offers peace of mind that true electric vehicles can't match." -- Edmunds
- "Harnessing the best of two worlds, the 2015 Volt is a viable and attractive solution within the realm of green motoring." -- AutoTrader
- "If you relish the idea of driving an electric car, but fear the idea of being stranded with a dead battery, the Chevy Volt might just be the ideal solution." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The choice of gas or electricity as a power source is freeing in a way that pure electric power may never be, but the overall vehicle experience isn't appealing enough yet. Maybe when this level of technology finds its way into a less fussy, more utilitarian package, GM will have a winner." -- Forbes (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
The Toyota Prius Plug-in hatchback has a much larger cargo area than the Volt, and reviewers love its spacious rear seats. Though its electric-only driving range isn’t as far, the Prius Plug-in gets much better fuel economy when using gasoline.
Critics agree that the five-seat Ford Fusion Energi has ample space in the rear seats, and they appreciate its composed handling. The Fusion Energi has more standard features than the Volt, including leather upholstery and heated front seats.
Details: 2015 Chevrolet Volt
The 2015 Chevrolet Volt has front-wheel drive and seats four. Two electric motors provide power and a 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine powers the electric motors when the battery is depleted. The Volt comes in one trim, and has not been fully redesigned since its debut in 2011. Since it sees no major changes for 2015, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Chevrolet Volt
- View the best prices for the 2015 Chevrolet Volt
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Chevrolet Volt
- Search used Chevrolet Volt for sale (1,118 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings