Chrysler 200 Performance
V6-powered 2013 Chrysler 200 models are well-liked by auto critics for their ample power and minimal torque steer. The revised suspension and steering also garner praise from reviewers, who say the 2013 200 is enjoyable to drive on a windy road. Though test drivers think Chrysler made the 2013 200 one of the most agile cars in its class, the 200 has some of the worst fuel economy ratings among affordable midsize cars.
- "You won't mistake 200 for a sports car, but it feels less like a rental-fleet special." -- Consumer Guide
- "The front wheels aren’t overburdened in general driving situations; a twisty road is now enjoyable." -- Road and Track (2011)
- "If you want an incredibly quick front-wheel drive sedan, Chrysler has the car for you for cheap." -- Motor Trend (2011 V6)
- "The steering is responsive and had good on-center feel for the long, flat straightaway that constitutes the middle of California.” -- Detroit Free Press (2011)
Acceleration and Power
The 2013 Chrysler 200 has two engines. The base 200 sedan has a 2.4-liter four-cylinder that makes 173 horsepower and is mated to a four-speed automatic transmission. A six-speed automatic is standard on the Touring trim. The Limited model has a 283-horsepower, 3.6-liter V6 and six-speed automatic. The base 200 convertible has the four-cylinder/six-speed automatic combination, while higher trims have the V6 and six-speed auto. The 200’s fuel economy is among the lowest in the class, at 21/29 mpg city/highway for the base sedan. The V6-powered 2013 Honda Accord and Nissan Altima deliver better fuel economy than the base four-cylinder 200. Six-cylinder 200 sedan and convertible models have EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 19/29 mpg.
Most reviewers discuss the V6 engine, saying its ample horsepower moves the midsize 200 with gusto. They report a small amount of torque steer from the front-wheel drive V6 200. The six-speed automatic shifts quickly, according to test drivers, but they note that it hangs onto higher gears longer than they’d like.
- "Only V6-powered 200s have been made available for testing. With a relatively trim exterior size and lots of horsepower, these cars are quite fast. You might expect lots of torque steer wander when accelerating quickly, but there's surprisingly little of it. The transmission is reasonably quick to downshift, though there were a few times it got caught in too high a gear, thus requiring a rather deep stab of the gas pedal to get it going." -- Consumer Guide
- "Its 3.6-liter V6 has impressive power reserves that allow the 200 to rocket from zero to 60 mph in just over six seconds, and to merge and pass with supreme confidence. And, despite its front-drive platform, we detected only minimal torque steer, even when launched hard from a standing stop." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "We expected more torque steer than was actually demonstrated under vigorous acceleration, and the [six-speed] transmission hangs onto the higher gears more insistently to aid fuel economy.” -- Car and Driver (2011 V6)
Handling and Braking
The Chrysler 200 received upgrades to its suspension and steering for 2013. Test drivers are impressed, saying it now provides good feedback and is more nimble in turns. One reviewer goes so far to say that the 200’s handling is among the best in the class. Auto critics don’t discuss the 200’s braking abilities.
- "The old Sebring drove like a softly-sprung rental car, but the 2013 Chrysler 200's revamped suspension and steering place it at the top of its category. It's an unexpected but welcome pleasure." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 200 is no excitement machine, but Chrysler has improved the car quite a bit for 2013. New suspension bushings and revised tuning makes the car feel more dynamic. Steering response is much improved. You can really feel what's happening, especially when quick changes of direction are needed." -- Consumer Guide
Next Steps: Chrysler 200
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Chrysler 200
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Chrysler 200 for sale (5,744 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Chrysler 200
- See what others paid for the 2013 Chrysler 200
- View Chrysler 200 Photos
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings