Dodge Avenger Review
The 2013 Dodge Avenger ranks 20 out of 20 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 54 published reviews and test drives of the Dodge Avenger, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The Dodge Avenger ranks low in its class due to its poor fuel economy and cramped cabin, but reviewers think its price makes it a good value among affordable midsize cars.
The 2013 Dodge Avenger offers shoppers the choice of a 173-horsepower four-cylinder engine or a 283-horsepower V6. Both engines can come with either a four- or six-speed automatic transmission. Test drivers think the base engine is sufficient, but some note that it has trouble getting the sedan up to speed. They prefer the V6 engine for its strong power delivery and good fuel economy. Fuel economy from the base engine is among the worst in the class, at 21/29 mpg city/highway. The Avenger’s handling falls on the sporty side of the spectrum, and test drivers appreciate its lively demeanor, limited body roll and comfortable ride. They agree that it is one of the more engaging midsize cars to drive. The Avenger loses points from one critic for its weak brakes.
The Avenger’s cabin has a sporty design, and Test drivers think the materials Dodge used are high-quality. One reviewer isn’t sure the bold look will appeal to all midsize car buyers though. Standard features on the Avenger are a bit sparse compared with rivals, with only an auxiliary audio jack and CD audio system. Several other affordable midsize cars also offer standard Bluetooth and a USB port, and the 2013 Honda Accord even has a standard rearview camera. Reviewers do like the available Uconnect infotainment system in the Avenger, saying it is intuitive and responsive. Critics think the Avenger’s cabin falls short with cramped seating in the front and rear, as well as a smaller trunk than most midsize cars.
- "Lower-end models have enticing prices, but that value against rivals wanes as trim levels climb. Among the Avenger's redeeming qualities is the optional Pentastar V6 engine that works exceptionally well and gives the car newfound performance. For those drawn to the Avenger over its worthy competitors, the biggest motivating factors may come down to price and personal taste." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Pricing is very reasonable, especially for the V6 engine and useful features, such as Chrysler's Uconnect infotainment system. Though it still trails the leaders in the midsize class, the Avenger no longer competes based solely on price." -- Consumer Guide
- "When you compartmentalize the Avenger's attributes, you can praise various aspects, like its composed ride and quiet interior, but in the end you have to weigh the car as a whole. When you do that, there's a lot left to be desired." -- Cars.com (2011)
- "There's still some good value here as well, as the Avenger packs a lot of features for the money." -- Edmunds (2011)
Other Cars to Consider
The redesigned 2013 Nissan Altima’s fuel economy with the base four-cylinder engine is significantly higher than the fuel economy the Avenger gets with its base four-cylinder engine. Reviewers praise the Altima’s smooth continuously variable transmission (CVT), athletic handling and roomy cabin.
If you need more back-seat and trunk space than what the Dodge Avenger offers, the 2013 Volkswagen Passat is a good choice due to its huge rear seat and trunk. The Passat has one of the highest interior scores in the class thanks to its reviewer-liked interior build quality, materials and design. The base Passat’s fuel economy is slightly better than the base Avenger’s, and there’s a diesel model that bumps fuel economy up considerably.
Details: 2013 Dodge Avenger
The 2013 Dodge Avenger is available in three trim levels: SE, SXT and R/T. Four- and six-cylinder engines are available, as well as four- and six-speed automatic transmissions. The five-seat Avenger was last redesigned in 2011. Since it hasn’t changed much since then, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2011 and 2012, as well as the current model year.
Next Steps: Dodge Avenger
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Dodge Avenger
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Dodge Avenger for sale (4,598 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Dodge Avenger
- See what others paid for the 2013 Dodge Avenger
- View Dodge Avenger Photos
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings