2012 Dodge Avenger Review
With some of the worst four-cylinder fuel economy ratings in the class, reviewers think the 2012 Dodge Avenger can’t compete with other midsize cars.
With so many great midsize cars that stand out for their modern styling, fuel-efficient engines and roomy interiors, it’s hard to get to the front of the pack. With its cramped back seat, small trunk, underpowered base engine and weak brakes, the 2012 Dodge Avenger stands out, but not in a good way. Additionally, the Avenger lacks standard tech features such as Bluetooth and iPod integration.
The 2012 Avenger does get high marks from reviewers for its optional V6 engine, which they note is powerful, smooth and quiet. Auto journalists also like the Avenger’s use of high-quality interior materials, which they say help boost the perceived quality of the interior.
Overall, reviewers say that the Dodge Avenger still has a long way to go to be on par with most affordable midsize cars. Since its price is in line with other midsize cars that reviewers think are much better, they suggest shopping the competition, where you’ll get more for your money.
Other Cars to Consider
The Toyota Camry is a good car to cross-shop against the Dodge Avenger. Test drivers like its base four-cylinder engine, which is something that can’t be said about the base Avenger. The four-cylinder Camry also gets great fuel economy compared with other midsize cars. Additionally, the Camry’s optional V6 gets the same fuel economy ratings as the base Avenger.
Since many reviewers note that the Dodge Avenger has a cramped back seat and small trunk, midsize car shoppers should also consider the Volkswagen Passat. Test drivers like that the 2012 Passat’s back seat is huge and its trunk is not only big, but deep. The Passat also comes standard with Bluetooth and an auxiliary audio input jack, which aren’t standard on the Avenger.
Dodge Avenger: The Details
The 2012 Dodge Avenger is available in four trim levels: SE, SXT, SXT Plus and R/T. The R/T trim level is new for 2012 and includes cosmetic upgrades and a sport-tuned suspension. Since the Avenger is mostly unchanged from last year, this review uses test driver comments from prior reviews. See the full list of 2012 Dodge Avenger specs.
- "Though it might not lead the midsize class in any one area, Avenger is no longer a sedan that's easily dismissed as something that competes solely on price." -- Consumer Guide
- "When you compartmentalize the Avenger's attributes, you can praise various aspects, like its composed ride and quiet interior, but in the end you have to weigh the car as a whole. When you do that, there's a lot left to be desired." -- Cars.com
- "This car is competitive. The engine is there. The interior is close." -- AutoWeek
- "There's still some good value here as well, as the Avenger packs a lot of features for the money." -- Edmunds
Next Steps: Dodge Avenger
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Dodge Avenger for sale (4,303 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Dodge Avenger
- View Dodge Avenger Photos
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings