2008 Dodge Caliber Review
The 2008 Dodge Caliber offers some unique convenience features, but an unimpressive driving experience.
The 2008 Dodge Caliber has many positive characteristics to recommend it -- an eye-catching design inspired by the Ram trucks and plenty of unique interior appointments to name two -- but our analysis shows poor engine power and less than ideal build quality mar its reputation among reviewers. It also hurts the Caliber's ranking in both the small car and hatchback classes.
Since the Caliber made its debut just last year, it remains largely unchanged for 2008. However, Dodge did add a high-performance SRT4 trim that includes a 285-horsepower engine. In addition the SRT4, there's also the SE, SXT, SXT Sport and R/T trims. If you're shopping for a small car with five doors, consider the Honda Fit.
- When reviewing the Caliber's new SRT4 trim, Car and Driver writes, "Like a Camembert-and-sardine sandwich, it figures to be an acquired taste." -- Car and Driver
- "Definitely much more than just a Neon replacement. While there is clearly a trade-off between power and fuel economy, it still pulls the compact crossover up to the next level." -- Motor Week
- "If Mom and Dad aren't too particular, the Caliber is a vehicle that offers a little something for the whole family." -- U.S. News
- "I thought the Caliber, while not high-caliber, was definitely medium-caliber." -- The Auto Channel
- "The Caliber is unconventional, but risk has paid off recently in both Chrysler and Dodge camps. And it's hard to argue with the price." -- Road and Track
- "I've never really liked the chunky compact Dodge Caliber, the replacement to the quirky Neon." -- The Detroit News
Next Steps: Dodge Caliber
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Dodge Caliber for sale (1,581 listings)
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings