Dodge Charger Review
The 2015 Dodge Charger ranks 8 out of 10 Affordable Large Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Dodge Charger, as well as reliability and safety data.
With powerful engine options and a comfortable ride, the automotive press thinks the 2015 Dodge Charger is an enjoyable sedan around town and can be an exhilarating partner at the track.
The 2015 Dodge Charger comes with a V6 engine that critics report delivers sufficient power for everyday driving. The Charger also has several available V8 engines, including the high-performance SRT Hellcat, which reviewers say provides outstanding acceleration and power. Rear-wheel drive is standard, and all-wheel drive is available. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard, which test drivers say shifts flawlessly. According to the EPA, the base Charger with a V6 engine gets 19/31 mpg city/highway, which is typical for V6 models in the class. Automotive journalists say the Charger handles relatively well for a large sedan, but that when pushed, it can suffer from understeer. Reviewers say the 2015 Charger has a comfortable ride.
Auto writers think the 2015 Dodge Charger’s interior is much improved over previous models, but that several rivals’ interiors are of better quality. They note the Charger’s seats are a bit soft for long-distance rides, although they say there is ample legroom in the front and rear. Reviewers write that the Charger has average trunk space for the class. The 2015 Charger comes standard with a USB port, a six-speaker stereo and an auxiliary jack. Available features include dual-zone automatic climate control, a rearview camera, a sunroof, navigation, satellite radio, forward collision warning, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, three upgraded audio systems and a Uconnect infotainment system with an 8.4-inch touch-screen display. Critics think the Uconnect system is one of the best in the class, but that some touch-screen selections can be tough to reach.
- "Upgraded for the new model year with more refinement, mostly improved styling and a wide selection of powertrains, the Charger is one of the most versatile sedans on the market place, capable of catering to growing families or performance junkies (or both)." -- Left Lane News
- "If you're looking for a big sedan that stands out from the crowd, the latest Charger is an attractive offering at multiple price levels." -- Edmunds
- "We count eight full-size contenders to the Charger. … only two contenders offer a V8 engine, and none are as powerful as the Charger's available 485-horsepower 6.4 - to say nothing of the 707-horse Hellcat. Although anyone looking at a full-size car - or even a midsize one - would do well to consider Dodge's big sedan, it's that last factor, especially, that makes it fully worthy of its Charger badge." -- Consumer Guide
- "A Charger is a big car, but like a heavyweight contender, it's got some moves and is eminently comfortable in its skin." -- Car and Driver
Other Cars to Consider
The Chevrolet Impala has an available V6 engine that critics say is powerful and delivers quick acceleration. They also note that the Impala has a luxury-like interior, and it has one of the largest trunks in the class.
Auto writers report that the Toyota Avalon has an attractive interior made of top-notch materials. They say the Avalon has comfortable seating, and they like that it has many standard features for the class.
Details: 2015 Dodge Charger
The 2015 Dodge Charger has five seats and comes with a 3.6-liter V6 engine, an eight-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is available, as well as more powerful V8 engine options. The Charger has four main trim groups: SE, SXT, R/T, and two high-performance SRT trims. The Dodge Charger gets refreshed exterior styling for 2015, but otherwise has received few major changes since its redesign for the 2011 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Dodge Charger
- View the best prices for the 2015 Dodge Charger
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Dodge Charger
- Search used Dodge Charger for sale (12,164 listings)
- See Affordable Large Cars rankings