Dodge Durango Review
The 2013 Dodge Durango ranks 11 out of 21 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 17 published reviews and test drives of the Dodge Durango, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Dodge Durango is ranked:
The 2013 Dodge Durango is middle-of-the-pack in almost every way. Though it's not a bad SUV, there are better options in this competitive class.
Test drivers generally like the 2013 Dodge Durango, saying that it offers a compliant ride, nimble handling and a surprisingly small turning radius. They write that its base V6 engine offers plenty of power for most drivers. Though the Durango can be equipped with an available V8, reviewers write that the extra power likely won’t be worth the significant dip in fuel economy that accompanies the V8. They also write that the larger engine’s sporty exhaust note can get annoying, and that the sporty R/T trim’s stiffer suspension only makes the ride bumpier, without improving performance much. Even with the smaller engine, the Durango’s fuel economy doesn’t stand out, with an EPA rating of 16/23 mpg city/highway.
The auto press writes that the Durango’s first two rows are fairly spacious, though testers disagree on whether the third row is big enough for adults. Reviewers also note that the Garmin-based optional navigation system may look simple, but that it can be confusing to use. One tester wishes that the Durango’s bland cabin was as attractive to look at as its exterior. The Durango’s cargo capacity is about average for the class.
- "Solid and quiet, the Durango is a classy and refined vehicle.” -- Car and Driver
- "If you require a vehicle that can carry seven people, tow up to 7,400 pounds and still fit easily into your garage, the 2013 Dodge Durango tops a very short list.” -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Dodge Durango has something for just about every type of large SUV shopper. The base SXT has a lot features for the money. The Crew adds welcome luxury and convenience options, with the Citadel available for those who want premium style without the premium price. We're not especially high on the R/T, but we can see its appeal for those who crave brawny style and maximum performance, yet want to maintain a somewhat low profile.” -- Consumer Guide
Other SUVs to Consider
If you like the 2013 Dodge Durango but want better fuel economy, consider the Toyota Highlander. The Highlander comes standard with a four-cylinder engine that can’t match the Durango’s performance, but that nets an impressive 20/25 mpg city/highway, according to the EPA. The Highlander isn’t available with a V8 engine like the Durango, and can’t tow nearly as much, but it can hold much more overall cargo and reviewers say that its third row is roomy and easy to access.
The Ford Explorer offers a similar interior to the Dodge Durango, but with more high-tech gadgetry and available features. The Explorer is available with MyFord Touch, a futuristic-looking panel of touch-screen controls, as well as an off-road terrain selector, which tailors the Explorer’s drivetrain to the type of surface you’re driving on, such as gravel, mud or snow.
Details: 2013 Dodge Durango
The 2013 Dodge Durango is available in SXT, Crew, R/T and Citadel trims, and can be had with either a V6 or available V8 engine. All trims come standard with rear-wheel drive, though all can be equipped with all-wheel drive. Standard features include seating for seven, tri-zone automatic climate control and a six-speaker audio system with auxiliary input jack. Optional features include suede or leather upholstery, heated first- and second-row seats, a power-adjustable tilt and telescoping steering wheel with voice recognition and Bluetooth controls and a rear-seat DVD system. The Dodge Durango was last redesigned in 2011. It hasn’t seen many significant changes since then, so this review uses research from 2011 and 2012, in addition to 2013.
Next Steps: Dodge Durango
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Dodge Durango
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Dodge Durango for sale (4,995 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Dodge Durango
- See what others paid for the 2013 Dodge Durango
- View Dodge Durango Photos
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings