Dodge Grand Caravan Review
The 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan ranks 4 out of 7 Minivans. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Dodge Grand Caravan, as well as reliability and safety data.
Test drivers like the 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan’s low starting price and versatile interior, but they say that competitors are more comfortable, spacious and refined.
The 2014 Grand Caravan has a V6 engine that auto writers say is powerful, but also a bit coarse. A six-speed automatic is standard on all models. Some test drivers think that the automatic transmission is responsive and smooth-shifting, but others say it is unrefined and slow to downshift when more power is needed. According to the EPA, the 2014 Grand Caravan gets 17/25 mpg city/highway, which is below-average for a minivan. Test drivers think that the Grand Caravan has decent handling around corners and strong brakes. However, some also write that the 2014 Grand Caravan has a stiff, uncomfortable ride over bumpy roads.
Reviewers think the Grand Caravan has a functional interior with decent build quality and materials. Test drivers write that tall people might not have enough legroom in the front seats, and that the second-row seats aren’t the most comfortable for adults. The Grand Caravan’s cargo area is adequately-sized, and test drivers say the optional Stow ‘n Go seating system, which allows you to fold the second- and third-row seats flat into the floor, is very useful. Some critics think that the optional touch-screen Uconnect infotainment system complicates simple tasks, such as adjusting the audio system. Standard features include remote keyless entry, heated side mirrors and a four-speaker sound system with an auxiliary input. Optional features include power-sliding doors, a power liftgate, navigation, a Uconnect infotainment system with touch-screen display, a Blu-ray dual-screen rear-seat entertainment system, a nine-speaker sound system, Bluetooth phone connectivity and audio streaming, two USB ports, blind spot monitoring and a rearview camera.
- "The 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan is priced right and chock full of handy features, but its lack of refinement keeps it a notch below the Japanese-brand competition in the minivan segment." -- Edmunds
- "This is simple. You have a family, need to haul people and cargo, and you're working with a modest budget. Given those requirements, the 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan should top your list." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Dodge Grand Caravan and related Chrysler Town & Country continue to set the class standard for cargo flexibility. Grand Caravan doesn't have the luxury bent of its sibling, but its durable interior materials and lower pricing are appealing in their own rights." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "But for all the effectiveness of these upgrades, Chrysler is still saddled with an older design than its competitors, and in some areas that dated base shows through." -- Autoblog (2011)
Other Minivans to Consider
Reviewers say the Honda Odyssey has excellent handling and lots of available tech features. The Odyssey also has more passenger and cargo space than the Grand Caravan, and it gets better fuel economy.
Automotive journalists like the Toyota Sienna’s powerful V6 and roomy, comfortable interior. Unlike the Grand Caravan, the Sienna has available all-wheel drive for those who want a minivan with better grip in wet weather.
Details: 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
The 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan seats seven and has front-wheel drive. A V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission are standard. The 2014 Grand Caravan comes in six trims: American Value Package (AVP), SE, SE 30th Anniversary Edition, SXT, SXT 30th Anniversary Edition and R/T. The Grand Caravan was last redesigned for the 2011 model year and has not changed much since then. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 through 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Dodge Grand Caravan
- View the best prices for the 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
- Search used Dodge Grand Caravan for sale (23,882 listings)
- See Minivans rankings