Dodge Journey Review
The 2013 Dodge Journey ranks 15 out of 21 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 21 published reviews and test drives of the Dodge Journey, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Dodge Journey is ranked:
An optional third row makes the 2013 Dodge Journey unique among compact SUVs, but the base Journey can’t match the performance, fuel economy or reliability of top-ranked competitors.
The 2013 Dodge Journey is powered by a four-cylinder engine and a four-speed automatic transmission. Test drivers agree that the base Journey’s performance falls short compared with others in the class. They note that the base Journey is underpowered and can’t match the fuel economy estimates of other compact SUVs. As a result, most test drivers prefer models that are equipped with a V6 engine and six-speed automatic transmission. With the V6, they say that the Journey has ample power for nearly any driving situation. While it’s generally not considered as nimble as rivals like the Subaru Forester, most reviewers say that the Journey handles adequately for an SUV.
The 2013 Journey stands out from most of its rivals with options that include integrated child booster seats and a third-row seat, which bumps seating capacity up to seven. Numerous small-item storage compartments also add to the Journey’s street cred as a family-friendly SUV. Reviewers say that the first- and second-row seats offer adult-friendly space, though the third row is best left to small children. The Journey’s notable standard features include push-button start and a touch-screen infotainment system with a USB port. However, some reviewers say that the standard infotainment system is difficult to use. As a result, many recommend the optional system, which comes with a larger display. Other available features include navigation, heated front seats, a heated steering wheel and leather upholstery.
- "It might not have the overall space and refinement of some of its competitors, but Journey excels in other key areas. Among its strengths are outstanding cargo flexibility, optional built-in child-booster seats, and quiet cabin. Combine this with aggressive pricing, and Journey is a compelling package for families of most any size." -- Consumer Guide
- "With its available V6, 7-passenger seating and AWD, the Journey can handle most of what fits into a traditional minivan and still maintain its less-bland SUV-like appeal." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Journey might not be a class leader, but it's definitely competitive and has a reasonably sporty feel, good looks, and fairly comfortable and spacious confines." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
- "The 2012 Dodge Journey doesn't quite win our wholehearted approval since its competition remains remain tough to beat." -- Edmunds (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Ford Escape isn’t available with a third-row seat, but reviewers love its nimble handling and comfortable seating for five. The Escape has a similar amount of cargo space as the Journey, but it also offers better fuel economy and a slightly higher reliability score.
If you like the Journey’s optional third-row seat, consider the Kia Sorento. The Sorento comes equipped with a long list of standard features, and reviewers like its strong brakes and powerful engine options. The Sorento’s powertrain warranty is also five years longer than the Journey’s.
Details: 2013 Dodge Journey
The 2013 Dodge Journey seats five and comes with standard front-wheel drive. A 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and a four-speed automatic transmission are also standard. All-wheel drive, a 3.6-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission are optional. The Journey comes in trims that range from the American Value Package (base) to the Journey R/T. Each trim adds to the Journey’s list of standard interior features. A third-row seat is optional on all models, which raises the seating capacity to seven. For 2013, the Journey sees a few minor changes to its feature content. The Crew trim gains standard features that include leather seats, a heated steering wheel and heated front seats, while the base Journey gets 17-inch wheels as standard equipment. Since the Journey saw its last major updates in 2011, the overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2011 and 2012, as well as the current model year.
Next Steps: Dodge Journey
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Dodge Journey
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Dodge Journey for sale (4,045 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Dodge Journey
- See what others paid for the 2013 Dodge Journey
- View Dodge Journey Photos
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings