Dodge Journey Interior
The 2014 Dodge Journey's interior earns praise from test drivers who say its materials are upscale. The Journey comes with a standard touch screen, but reviewers prefer the optional 8.4-inch touch screen because its larger size makes it easier to use. They also like its intuitive interface and some say it's one of the better infotainment systems in the class. Although the Journey is one of few compact SUVs that offer an optional third row, test drivers say it's too small for adults, but is adequate for little kids. One reviewer says the front seats offer mediocre comfort, good height and expansive visibility, but that tall drivers might have difficulty reaching the steering wheel. Reviewers appreciate the 2014 Dodge Journey's convenient storage spaces and say its built-in second-row booster seats are handy for families. Cargo space is good for the class and the front passenger seat folds flat transporting longer items.
- "Inside, the Dodge Journey's materials are high in quality, the design is clean and modern and the available technology is pretty easy to use. We especially like the extra-large 8.4-inch touchscreen interface offered in all models except the SE. It's available with or without navigation." -- Edmunds
- "The materials are upscale in look and feel, and the dashboard manages to look sleek and dressy without compromising the Journey's gauge legibility or ergonomics." -- AutoTrader
- "In place of the old Rubbermaid interior is a thoroughly improved cabin highlighted by a rich-looking soft-touch touch dashboard and Dodge's three-spoke corporate steering wheel." -- Left Lane News
- "Journey's cabin is class competitive, with good fit and finish. Materials might seem a bit dull, but nothing feels cheap." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
The Journey seats five, or seven with an optional third-row seat. Critics agree that the available third row isn't suitable for adults, but has just enough room for two small children. The second-row seats recline and are available with built-in child booster seats, which reviewers say is a convenient feature for families. One reviewer says that if the driver’s seat is set too far back, tall drivers might have trouble reaching the steering wheel, because it doesn't telescope very far. He also notes that while the front seats don't have remarkable support, there’s great outward visibility from the driver’s seat. The Journey has standard cloth seats, while leather-trimmed seats, heated front seats and a six-way power-adjustable driver's seat are optional on upper trims.
- "The Journey's front seats offer mediocre support, but they do sit you up nice and high, affording an expansive view of the road. The steering column telescopes on all models, though those with long legs may still find the wheel too far away." -- AutoTrader
- "Also helping that cause is the Journey's available third-row seat, which is bundled with a separate rear air-conditioner. This seat is far from adult-friendly, but if you need to take a couple extra kids to a T-ball game, it's handy." -- Edmunds
- "The first and second rows of seats drew praise from their occupants, but the consensus opinion is that the third row is more appropriate for the kids in the family." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The available booster seats are a boon for families with children who have outgrown their car seats, but are still required by law to be in boosters. They're an inexpensive option that's well worth having." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Standard features on the 2014 Dodge Journey include a 4.3-inch Uconnect touch-screen radio with an auxiliary jack, a USB port, a six-speaker stereo, heated mirrors and dual-zone air conditioning. The Journey also comes with Dodge's Enter 'n Go keyless entry and push-button start system, which allows drivers to enter the vehicle and start the ignition without having to use a key fob. Optional features on upper trims include an 8.4-inch touch-screen Uconnect infotainment system with Bluetooth audio, hands-free texting, navigation, a rear-seat 9-inch video screen, remote start and a rearview camera.
While the Journey's touch screen is a feature not offered standard with many rivals, some reviewers say the screen and interface are a bit too small. Test drivers recommend buyers choose a trim that includes the 8.4-inch touch-screen Uconnect infotainment system, which they say works intuitively and has a clear display.
- "But the big technology news in the Journey is the 8.4-in touchscreen (optional on the SXT model and standard on the Limited and R/T models), which brings iPad-like crispness and ease-of-use into your driving experience. It's one of the best infotainment interfaces on the market, and it even includes an SD-card interface to give you more options in portable media. We highly recommend it." -- AutoTrader
- "Select the available audio system with the 8.4-inch touch screen and Uconnect communication and connectivity choices, and you'll be operating one of the industry leaders in intuitive functions." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The standard touchscreen interface is a bit on the small side, but it works well enough." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
The 2014 Dodge Journey has 67.6 cubic feet of cargo space behind the first row. Five-seat models have 39.6 cubic feet of space behind the second row, while seven-seat models have 37 and 10.7 cubic feet of space behind the second and third rows, respectively. The Journey has a storage compartment built into the floor in front of the second row, and test drivers say it's great for toting snacks and small items. Reviewers like the Journey's convenient small-storage spaces, which include a storage compartment under the front passenger seat, which one reviewer says is good for stowing small valuables.
- "There are useful storage areas, too. You can store snacks and cold drinks in bins built into the floor of the second-row seating area, and a compartment under the front passenger seat is handy for stashing valuables." -- Edmunds
- "Prospective buyers will be attracted to its interior, which is full of clever and handy storage spaces, including under-floor compartments beneath the 2nd-row seats and a front passenger-seat bottom cushion that lifts to access yet more space for odds and ends." -- Kelley Blue Book
Next Steps: Dodge Journey
- View the best prices for the 2014 Dodge Journey
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Dodge Journey
- Search used Dodge Journey for sale (7,856 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings