Dodge Journey Performance
The 2015 Dodge Journey’s base engine has poor power output and is noisy, reviewers say. As a result, some test drivers recommend skipping the base engine and opting for the available V6, which offers superior power and refinement. Both models receive poor fuel economy estimates for the class. Most automotive journalists say the 2015 Dodge Journey has well-controlled handling around corners, but a few think it can feel unwieldy when cornering.
- “Underneath, the Journey is related to the Dodge Avenger sedan, and it shares that car's soft, quiet ride on the highway." -- AutoTrader
- "Along with this lack of power comes a disappointing driving experience." -- Edmunds
- "If you're moving up from an older, truck-based SUV, you'll be pleased to know that modern crossover SUVs such as the Journey are more comfortable and refined on the road, much like a tall-riding station wagon. Essentially, that's what the Journey is.” -- Kelley Blue Book
Acceleration and Power
The base 2015 Dodge Journey has a 173-horsepower 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and a four-speed automatic transmission. A 3.6-liter V6 engine that produces 283 horsepower is available, which is paired with a six-speed automatic transmission. With an EPA-estimated 19/26 mpg city/highway, the base 2015 Journey earns some of the poorest fuel economy estimates in the class.
According to critics, the Journey’s base engine is underpowered and noisy. They also write that its four-speed automatic transmission is outdated and unrefined. It also contributes to the Journey’s poor fuel economy estimates, they add. Test drivers agree that for sufficient power delivery, you’ll need to upgrade to the available V6 engine, which comes with a six-speed automatic transmission that operates smoothly. However, a few remain unimpressed by the V6’s power output.
- "Even though there are two available engines, neither is exceptional. The standard four-cylinder comes paired to an archaic four-speed automatic transmission and doesn't get the kind of fuel economy we've come to expect from class-leading crossovers, and it is lackluster at best for providing passing power." -- Edmunds
- "… the base powertrain is a 2.4-liter inline-4 that generates unpleasant noises and lackluster acceleration, especially as it is paired with an unrefined, efficiency-sapping 4-speed automatic transmission." -- AutoTrader
- "The standard, 173-horsepower 4-cylinder engine is only adequate to power the 2015 Journey. A far better option is the Pentastar V6, which has over 100 additional horsepower and nearly the same highway fuel economy." -- Kelley Blue Book
Handling and Braking
Reviewers agree that the Dodge Journey has a comfortable ride that remains smooth over road imperfections. Most also report that the Journey maneuvers around corners confidently with limited body roll. However, a few critics think the Journey lacks stability in turns. Front-wheel drive is standard, and all-wheel drive is optional.
- "Its suspension has the compliance to deal with all sorts of bumps and bad pavement, yet on mountain roads it has a level of firmness and control that keeps the Journey cornering securely with a minimum of bobbing and weaving." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Driven around turns at a decent clip, the Journey suffers from quite a bit of body roll that saps driver confidence. All of our favorites in this class provide more engagement and stability." -- Edmunds
- "Also part of the recent update were a number of chassis enhancements that equate to quicker transient responses and a more controlled ride." -- Left Lane News
- "The Journey's high driving position and angled steering column may bring school buses to mind. Fortunately, the Journey's dynamics are much better, as this car-based crossover has no trouble navigating rutted roads and tight streets." -- AutoTrader
Next Steps: Dodge Journey
- View the best prices for the 2015 Dodge Journey
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Dodge Journey
- Search used Dodge Journey for sale (7,856 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals