Dodge Journey Review
The 2014 Dodge Journey ranks 12 out of 22 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Dodge Journey, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Dodge Journey is ranked:
While they like its available infotainment system, auto writers say the 2014 Dodge Journey's underpowered four-cylinder engine and poor fuel economy estimates put it behind other compact SUVs.
Reviewers agree that the Dodge Journey's standard four-cylinder engine and four-speed automatic transmission are underpowered and unrefined when compared to the competition. For a smoother, more powerful ride, reviewers recommend the V6 engine with a six-speed automatic transmission, which is available on higher trims. The base Journey receives fuel economy estimates of 19/26 mpg city/highway, which are some of the lowest in the class. While the V6 option packs more power, its fuel economy estimates are only slightly less than those of the four-cylinder engine. Critics say the 2014 Dodge Journey doesn't have very sporty handling, but some say it's smooth over rugged roads and composed around corners.
Test drivers like the Journey's convenient interior features, including integrated child booster seats in the second row and storage spaces in the rear floor and under the front passenger's seat. Test drivers say these storage spaces are great for carrying snacks and storing small valuables. They also like the Journey's soft-touch materials. Critics say that the first-row and second-row seats are roomy; however, they agree that the optional third row has sufficient space only for small children. The Journey offers notable standard features like push-button start, dual-zone air conditioning and heated sideview mirrors. Some critics say that the standard touch-screen system is a bit too small. As a result, most automotive journalists recommend purchasing a trim with the optional infotainment system, which has a larger display. Additionally, reviewers say the optional infotainment system is one of the most straightforward systems available. Other optional features available on the 2014 Dodge Journey include Bluetooth, hands-free texting, navigation, a rear-seat 9-inch video screen, remote start and a rearview camera.
- "Based on the strength of the competition, the 2014 Dodge Journey is not among our top picks for a seven-passenger crossover. However, if you run across a good deal on a V6 model, it's still worth a test-drive." -- Edmunds
- "The Dodge Journey is a mid-size, seven-passenger crossover that's well worth considering for buyers seeking a family-friendly ride with a versatile interior and an affordable price. Just make sure to skip over the lackluster base four-cylinder in favor of the smooth and powerful Pentastar V6 option." -- Left Lane News
- "Demerits? Just two, really, though we admit they're pretty significant. First, the base powertrain is a 2.4-liter inline 4-cylinder that generates unpleasant noises and lackluster acceleration, especially as it is paired with an unrefined, efficiency-sapping 4-speed automatic transmission. Second, the Journey is small compared with most crossovers that can hold so many people. And space is important when it comes to family cars." -- AutoTrader
Other SUVs to Consider
The Ford Escape earns reviewer praise for its powerful turbocharged 2.0-liter engine, which they say delivers plenty of power for highway passing. Additionally, reviewers like its nimble handling and say it has a roomy back seat.
Test drivers like the Kia Sportage's numerous standard features and say they are generally easy to use. The Sportage comes standard with satellite radio, Bluetooth, an auxiliary input and a USB port. Additionally, reviewers like the Kia Sportage's car-like handling.
Details: 2014 Dodge Journey
The 2014 Dodge Journey seats five and comes with front-wheel drive. An optional third-row seat raises the seating capacity to seven. A 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and a four-speed automatic transmission come standard. All-wheel drive, a 3.6-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission are optional on higher trims. The Journey comes in six trims: American Value Package, SE, SXT, SXT Plus, Limited and R/T. For 2014, the Limited trim replaces the Crew trim, and satellite radio is now available on all models. Since the Journey saw its last major updates for the 2011 model year and hasn’t changed much since, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 through 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Dodge Journey
- View the best prices for the 2014 Dodge Journey
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Dodge Journey
- Search used Dodge Journey for sale (7,856 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings