Dodge Journey Review
The 2015 Dodge Journey ranks 11 out of 12 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Dodge Journey, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Dodge Journey is ranked:
Test drivers are let down by the 2015 Dodge Journey's poor fuel economy and underpowered base engine, but they say it has an intuitive infotainment system and a handsome cabin.
The 2015 Dodge Journey comes standard with a four-cylinder engine, and many critics complain that it is unrefined and could use more power. The base engine is paired with a four-speed automatic transmission, and reviewers remark that it is oudated and is part of the reason the Journey gets underwhelming fuel economy. Test drivers agree that the available V6 is the better choice for strong, smooth power, and it’s paired with a more polished six-speed automatic transmission. With an EPA-estimated 19/26 mpg city/highway, the base Journey uses more fuel than many SUVs in the class. Most reviewers agree that the Dodge Journey has confidence-inspiring handling through turns and a cushy ride over rough roads. However, a few critics disagree, saying the Journey feels unwieldy.
The 2015 Journey has impressive cabin materials, test drivers note. Although a few critics think the front seats could be more supportive, most say the front- and second-row seats are comfortable. The Journey has an optional third row, which test drivers write offers sufficient space for kids. The 2015 Dodge Journey comes with a 4.3-inch Uconnect touch-screen radio, a USB port, heated mirrors, push-button start and dual-zone air conditioning. Optional features include tri-zone automatic climate control, a Uconnect infotainment system with an 8.4-inch touch screen, Bluetooth, satellite radio, hands-free text messaging, navigation, a rear-seat entertainment system with a 9-inch screen, rear parking sensors, a rearview camera and remote start. Reviewers are thrilled with the Journey's straightforward Uconnect infotainment system, which they say is one of the best in the class. The Dodge Journey has 67.6 cubic feet of overall cargo space. Reviewers are also impressed with the convenient small-item interior storage spaces, which include compartments under the floor in the second row and under the front passenger seat cushion.
- "The 2015 Dodge Journey has an available V6 engine and a third row so it might seem to be a decent pick for families on a budget, but overall it falls short of newer crossovers with more powerful four-cylinder engines and better fuel mileage ratings." -- Edmunds
- “While its crossover styling looks conservative on the outside, the interior design and materials remain top-notch, and the available 8.4-inch touchscreen is arguably one of the best in the business. Clever touches abound, and the price is supremely competitive." -- AutoTrader
- "The Dodge Journey is a mid-size, seven-passenger crossover that's well worth considering for buyers seeking a family-friendly ride with a versatile interior and an affordable price. Just make sure to skip over the lackluster base four-cylinder in favor of the smooth and powerful Pentastar V6 option." -- Left Lane News
- “In lower-end trims it offers a lot of vehicle for the money, but trade-offs include a rather meager 4-cylinder engine, an outdated transmission and lack of standard features such as Bluetooth connectivity." -- Kelley Blue Book
Dodge Journey Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
Toyota Highlander has plenty of space in an interior that reviewers say is well-made and comfortable. Test drivers also appreciate its comfortable performance that makes it easy to drive.
Though it lacks a third row, auto journalists like the upscale look and feel of the Ford Edge. They also appreciate how comfortable and quiet the Edge is on the highway.
Details: 2015 Dodge Journey
The 2015 Dodge Journey seats five and comes with front-wheel drive. An optional third-row seat raises the seating capacity to seven. The base Journey comes with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine mated to a four-speed automatic transmission. All-wheel drive, a 3.6-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission are optional. The Journey comes in six trims: American Value Package, SE, SXT, Crossroad, Limited and R/T. Since the Journey saw its last major refresh for the 2011 model year and hasn’t changed much since, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Dodge Journey
- View the best prices for the 2015 Dodge Journey
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Dodge Journey
- Search used Dodge Journey for sale (7,856 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals