2008 Dodge Magnum Recalls & Reliability
There have been 3 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
Recall Date: 09/17/2014
- Summary: Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2008 Chrysler 300 vehicles manufactured May 31, 2007, to May 12, 2008, Dodge Magnum vehicles manufactured May 23, 2007, to May 12, 2008, Dodge Charger vehicles manufactured May 24, 2007, to May 12, 2008, Jeep Commander vehicles manufactured April 3, 2007, to May 12, 2008, and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured March 21, 2007, to May 12, 2008. In the affected vehicles, the ignition key (FOBIK) may not return to the "ON" position after being rotated to the "START" position, instead sticking between the two positions. Potentially, while the vehicle is being driven, the ignition may inadvertently move through the "RUN" position to the "ACCESSORY" or "OFF" ignition position, turning off the engine.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 291,703
- Consequence: If the ignition stays between "START" and "ON" positions it could cause loss of certain electrical functions. If the ignition key inadvertently moves into the "OFF" or "ACCESSORY" position, the engine will turn off, which will then depower various key safety systems including but not limited to air bags, power steering, and power braking. Loss of functionality of these systems may increase the risk of crash and/or increase the risk of injury in the event of a crash.
- Remedy: The remedy for this recall campaign is still under development. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P57.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 14V567000
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:LEVER AND LINKAGE:COLUMN SHIFTRecall Date: 11/05/2008
- Summary: CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 20,283 MY 2006-2009 CHARGER AND MAGNUM VEHICLES BUILT WITH THE POLICE PACKAGE EQUIPPED WITH COLUMN SHIFTER. THE GEARSHIFT CABLE MAY BECOME DISENGAGED FROM THE STEERING COLUMN MOUNTING BRACKET AND CAUSE AN INCORRECT TRANSMISSION GEARSHIFT POSITION DISPLAY.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 20283
- Consequence: THIS COULD ALLOW THE VEHICLE TO MOVE INADVERTENTLY AND CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.
- Remedy: DEALERS WILL ADD A REDUNDANT LOCKING MECHANISM TO THE GEARSHIFT CABLE AT THE MOUNTING BRACKET TO ENSURE PROPER RETENTION AND SHIFT LINKAGE FUNCTION. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
- Notes: CHRYSLER RECALL NO. H37. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 08V583000
POWER TRAIN:AXLE HUBSRecall Date: 07/01/2008
- Summary: CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 5,509 MY 2008 300, DODGE MAGNUM, AND CHARGER VEHICLES. THE TORQUE RETENTION CRIMP FEATURE WAS MISSED DURING THE MANUFACTURE OF ONE LOT OF REAR AXLE HUB NUTS. THIS COULD CAUSE THE NUTS TO LOOSEN AND ALLOW THE HALFSHAFT TO DISENGAGE FROM THE WHEEL HUB.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 5509
- Consequence: THIS COULD CAUSE THE VEHICLE TO LOSE POWER AND RESULT IN A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.
- Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE REAR AXLE HUB NUTS. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JULY 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
- Notes: CHRYSLER RECALL NO. H23. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 08V295000
The Magnum comes with a three-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. The Magnum is also covered by a lifetime powertrain warranty (which does not apply to SRT trims) and a five year/100,000-mile rust-through warranty.
Warranty information last updated: 2/23/09