2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Review
With innovative cargo solutions and a ride that some reviewers say is the smoothest in the class, the 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 is a strong contender in a competitive class.
The Dodge Ram surprises a lot of reviewers with its car-like (yes, car-like) ride and handling, high-tech interior and useful exterior features. Depending on the features buyers opt for, the Ram can be stuffed full of handy lockable and waterproof storage cubbies, both in the cabin and on the bed. In addition, the Ram's roomy cabin is available with high-tech features like a hard drive for storing music files and wifi capability. A lot of reviewers say the Ram 1500 is as good as a full size pickup gets. Edmunds says, "Given all of the praise we heap on the 2010 Ram 1500, it's no wonder why this pickup beat the competition in a recent comparison test. When pitted against the Chevrolet Silverado, Ford F-150 and Toyota Tundra -- which are all excellent trucks in their own right -- the Ram took home the prize for its well-rounded strengths."
While all of that sounds like good news for Ram buyers, the Ram's reliability is what keeps reviewers from recommending it wholeheartedly. Still, if you can deal with a less-than-stellar predicted reliability rating, the Ram has a lot to offer, including an upscale interior, some of the best performance in the class, and macho styling that fits the full-size pickup class to a tee.
Other Full Size Pickups to Consider
If you're shopping for a full-size truck, make sure you check out the Ram, but keep in mind that the Chevrolet Silverado has a slightly lower base price and that the Ford F-150 offers similar features but has a better reputation for reliability. Still, it's tough to make a bad choice in this competitive class. If you're a Dodge fan and like the Ram, you'll likely be happy with the purchase.
Later in the model year, Dodge is slated to add a diesel and hybrid model. If you need a truck but are concerned about fuel economy, it may be worth waiting for them. Right now, only the GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado have hybrid models available; cross-shopping them with the eventual hybrid or diesel Ram makes good sense.
Details: Dodge Ram 1500
If you're shopping for a 2010 Ram, you also may want to check out any 2009 Dodge Rams still on dealer lots. You may be able to get a better deal on the 2009 model, which is virtually identical to the 2010, and the 2009 model comes with a lifetime powertrain warranty, while the 2010 Ram has only a five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty. That lifetime powertrain warranty, if you can find a 2009 model, could ease a lot of worries about the Ram's reliability.
Three engines are available on the Ram, and while most reviewers recommend buyers avoid it, the Ram has one of the only V6 engines available in the class. The Ram comes in regular, crew and quad cab form with bed sizes ranging from five feet, seven inches to a full eight feet. Trims range from the base ST to the near-luxury Laramie. For 2010, the Ram's maximum towing capacity has been increased, an integrated trailer-brake controller is available, and an iPod connector is now available.
- "Although you might think that its coil-sprung rear axle imparts commendable ride and handling at the expense of burliness, the Ram maintains great cargo and towing abilities. Three engine, cab, and bed choices are available, and the Ram's styling remains brash and unmistakable." -- Car and Driver
- "Impressive ride comfort, creative storage options, and abundant available power. Improved cabin trappings over the previous generation are a nice bonus. Chevy, Ford, and Toyota loyalists would do well to have a look. You may well be won over." -- Consumer Guide
- The "Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie managed to surprise us with its excellent performance and handling, as well as its well-appointed cabin and tech. This is definitely a great option for the sophisticated truck buyer." -- CNET
- "The 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 sits atop our list of pickup trucks for its strong V8, classy interior and revolutionary rear suspension that makes it the smoothest-riding rig in the market."-- Edmunds
Next Steps: Dodge Ram 1500
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Dodge Ram 1500 for sale (6,326 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Dodge Ram-1500
- View Dodge Ram 1500 Photos
- See Full Size Pickup Trucks rankings