Dodge SRT Viper Review
The 2014 Dodge SRT Viper ranks 11 out of 12 Luxury Sports Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Dodge SRT Viper, as well as reliability and safety data.
Though critics say the 2014 SRT Viper delivers terrific acceleration and track-ready performance, a harsh ride can make it a bear to live with on a daily basis.
Reviewers write that the 2014 SRT Viper features a responsive V10 engine, which provides instant throttle response and exceptionally quick acceleration. A six-speed manual is standard, and while some test drivers say that some gear changes require a bit of effort, they enjoy its short throws. The 2014 Viper gets 12/19 mpg city/highway, which is low for the class, though the Viper is significantly more powerful than most luxury sports cars. Test drivers say that the Viper delivers incredibly athletic handling and responsive steering. However, some note that the Viper’s brakes could be more responsive, and many comment that its firm suspension results in an uncomfortable ride, and can make the Viper difficult to control on imperfect roads.
Automotive critics report that the 2014 SRT Viper has top-notch interior materials and construction that compare well with what other luxury sports cars offer. The 2014 Viper has a large trunk for the class, and some reviewers say that its race car-style seats are supportive and comfortable. However, others report that outward visibility is limited, and that the Viper’s low height makes entry and exit difficult. Test drivers like the Viper’s standard Uconnect infotainment system, noting that it has a large touch screen and is easy to use. Other standard features include Bluetooth, a USB port, automatic climate control, keyless entry and push-button start. Leather upholstery, power-adjustable seats, navigation and a rearview camera are available.
- "In the end, the 2014 SRT Viper is still very much an old-school supercar that requires a high level of heroism to get the most out of it. If that sounds appealing to you, there's nothing better." -- Edmunds
- "On public roads, the Viper's raucous nature and lack of creature comforts make it one of the least refined supercars on the market, but in a way, that's part of the appeal." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2014 SRT Viper is an automotive schoolyard bully. It's loud, throbbingly brash, compromising, sinister and brutal at the same time. Uncouth and unrefined, it's sort of like a friend that you can only tolerate for a couple hours at a stretch." -- Left Lane News
- "The Viper has ballooned in price, starting around $100,000 and swelling to more than $122,000 for the GTS package, which includes electronically adjustable suspension, niceties such as a leather-wrapped dashboard and standard amenities that include navigation and a 12-speaker sound system. But most crucial, the Viper has grown in sophistication, as well, finally making it a viable competitor to well-rounded sports cars such as the Corvette ZR1 and Nissan GT-R." -- AutoTrader
Other Cars to Consider
The redesigned Chevrolet Corvette Stingray costs much less than the Viper, and reviewers agree that it has sharp handling and a comfortable ride. The Corvette also has good cargo space for the class, and reviewers like its supportive seats and attractive, tech-laden interior.
Reviewers appreciate the Jaguar F-Type’s powerful supercharged V8 engine and smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic transmission. The F-Type also has a lower starting price than the Viper, and auto writers agree that it’s enjoyable to drive, adding that it has lithe handling and comfortable seats.
Details: 2014 SRT Viper
The 2014 SRT Viper comes in base and GTS trims, seats two and has rear-wheel-drive. An 8.4-liter V10 engine and six-speed manual transmission are standard. The SRT Viper was completely redesigned for the 2013 model year, and sees no major changes for 2014. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 and 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Dodge SRT Viper
- View the best prices for the 2014 Dodge SRT Viper
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- Search used Dodge SRT Viper for sale (None listings)
- See Luxury Sports Cars rankings