Dodge Viper Performance
Because of its terrific power and lightning-quick reflexes, the 2015 Dodge Viper can be a challenging car to drive for even the most expert drivers, according to critics. They add that its uncomfortable ride limits its appeal as a daily driver. However, if you're willing to accept the challenge, test drivers agree that piloting the Viper can be a very rewarding experience.
- "Gut-punchingly potent and impressively capable, the Viper offers a challenging and ultimately rewarding experience for drivers bold enough to explore its limits." -- AutoTrader
- "The 2014 SRT Viper is one of those cars that demands respect. Even for the most talented of racecar drivers, it's a handful. As with any purpose-built car with racing aspirations, the Viper forces some compromises in terms of everyday drivability." -- Edmunds (2014)
- "But the Viper's performance is simply exhilarating. That massive, naturally aspirated engine just gives and gives, and those wide tires help the Viper cling to the road." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
- "SRT engineers state that there is supercar performance in every model. We would have to agree." -- Left Lane News (2014)
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Dodge Viper SRT is powered by an 8.4-liter V10 engine that produces 645 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed manual is the only available transmission. Dodge says the 2015 Viper has a top speed of 206 mph. The 2015 Dodge Viper gets an EPA-estimated 12/21 mpg city/highway, which is low for the class. The 2015 Viper has 5 more horsepower than the 2014 model, and it gets 2 more mpg on the highway.
Test drivers agree that the 2015 Viper has astounding acceleration and nearly instantaneous throttle response that make it unlike almost anything else on the road. Auto writers like the six-speed manual’s short throws, but note that gear changes require more muscle than expected.
- "That massive, naturally aspirated engine just gives and gives, and those wide tires help the Viper cling to the road. We found the 6-speed manual transmission a bit notchy but enjoyed its short throws." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
- "The aggressive acceleration from the V10 kicks you straight back into the seats with the force of a flying dropkick to the chest by a masked member of the WWE." -- Left Lane News (2014)
- "Punch the throttle to the floor and the Viper is fiercely quick. The six-speed's shifter has been redesigned for shorter and more precise throws. But it's notchier, so you've got to really direct the lever with a meaningful shove. It takes practice to be quick, but get it right and the Viper moves (and howls) like nothing else." -- Popular Mechanics (2013)
- "Thanks to immediate throttle response from just about anywhere the needle sits on the tachometer, power is available NOW. Few things in life are as thrilling as the instantaneous thrust from a naturally aspirated 640-horsepower 8.4-liter engine - it only takes but one minute behind the firewall of the V10 to erase all memories of its weaker forced-induction competitors." -- Autoblog (2013)
Handling and Braking
Reviewers write that the rear-wheel drive 2015 Dodge Viper has incredibly athletic handling but an extremely harsh ride, which doesn't make it an ideal car for everyday driving. The upper-level GT, GTC and GTS trims have a two-mode suspension system with Street and Track settings, but critics say that the ride is still taxing in either setting. Automotive journalists report that even expert drivers may find it hard to keep the Viper under control at higher speeds. They praise the sharp steering system, but some note that the brakes could be more responsive.
- "Steering and handling are both brutally good and hard at the same time, gluing the GTS to the ground so it can slither along the blacktop during its daily excursions. Flicking the ride adjustment controls to change up the adjustable Bilsteins can result in a ride that goes from harsh to worse." -- Left Lane News (2014)
- "As a daily driver the Viper is a compromise, but for jaunts on winding roads or at the track, it's a blast. Be forewarned, though: The Viper's violent power delivery and quick steering ratio can make it handful to drive - even for experienced drivers." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
- "Around town, the ride quality is stiff and you'll feel every bump and pebble. The Race setting for the suspension is downright punishing and makes the car feel nervous unless you're on a very smooth racetrack." -- Edmunds (2014)
- "Our main complaint during our brief track drive was regarding the brakes, which didn't inspire confidence during their initial bite and lacked overall positive feel." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
- "What would we change? The brakes don't offer the initial bite that we like--there's a bit of travel in the pedal before the Brembos really start to clamp down. It's an unsettling feeling in this car when you go to the brakes and don't get instant grab." -- AutoWeek (2013)
Next Steps: Dodge Viper
- View the best prices for the 2015 Dodge Viper
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Dodge Viper
- Search used Dodge Viper for sale (227 listings)
- See Luxury Sports Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals