2014 Ford C-Max Energi
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi
Ford C-Max Energi Review
The 2014 Ford C-Max Energi ranks 9 out of 9 Wagons. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ford C-Max Energi, as well as reliability and safety data.
A spacious cabin, agile handling and strong acceleration make the C-Max Energi an appealing pick, but reviewers say the much less expensive C-Max Hybrid is a better choice.
The plug-in hybrid 2014 Ford C-Max Energi has a four-cylinder engine and an electric motor that critics say provide brisk acceleration together, although some note that when the car is using the electric motor alone in EV mode, it struggles at highway speeds. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is standard. Most reviewers agree the Ford C-Max Energi has agile handling for a hybrid, and precise, communicative steering. They write that the C-Max Energi’s ride is firm, but still comfortable. Automotive journalists think the C-Max Energi has strong brakes with firm pedal feel.
Most reviewers say that the materials in the 2014 Ford C-Max Energi’s cabin are upscale and the cabin is good-looking. Test drivers write that there is enough head- and legroom for four tall passengers to sit comfortably. However, the cargo area is one of the smallest in the wagon class. The 2014 Ford C-Max Energi has standard features that include push-button start, dual-zone automatic climate control, a 110-volt power outlet, a six-speaker audio system, Bluetooth, a USB port, satellite radio, rear parking sensors, a MyFord Touch touch-screen infotainment system and SYNC, which allows you to connect your smartphone via USB or Bluetooth and control it using voice commands. Many automotive journalists say the MyFord Touch infotainment system makes common audio and climate controls more difficult than they need to be. Options include navigation and active park assist, which helps steer the car into a parallel spot.
- "Of course, the Energi isn't for everyone. If you want to commute in EV mode, for example, the Volt is a better choice, as it offers nearly 40 miles of electric range to the Energi's 21. And if you're drawn to the Energi for its practical tall-wagon body style, you should take a look at the massive battery-pack housing in the trunk area and see if there's still enough cargo space for your taste." -- AutoTrader
- "When it comes to bragging rights, the Toyota Prius has long dominated the fuel-efficiency argument. However, the 2014 Ford C-Max is looking to change the debate by offering a hybrid with features that go beyond good mpg, namely style, comfort and a fun-to-drive attitude." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "However, the standard C-Max Hybrid provides almost all those benefits (I averaged 31 mpg when we tested one in December), and I think it's a better buy than the more expensive Energi." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
- "At $7750 more than the C-Max hybrid, and almost twice the $16,995 that Ford asks for the cheapest Focus four-door, the Energi isn't just asking you to be bold. It's asking you to be blind to its shortcomings and minimal gains while being a little reckless with your money." -- Car and Driver (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers think the Ford C-Max Hybrid shares the same positive traits as the C-Max Energi, like strong acceleration and a roomy cabin. However, the C-Max Hybrid costs considerably less than the C-Max Energi and it has a larger cargo area.
The four-seat plug-in hybrid Chevrolet Volt can travel 38 miles in electric-only mode. Automotive journalists say the Volt has refined handling, a quiet cabin and a smooth transition between gas and electric power.
Details: 2014 Ford C-Max Energi
The plug-in hybrid 2014 Ford C-Max Energi seats five and has front-wheel drive. It’s powered by a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and an electric motor, which are mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT). The C-Max Energi is available in one trim. The C-Max Hybrid is reviewed separately. The C-Max Energi hasn’t changed much since its debut for the 2013 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 and 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Ford C-Max Energi
- View the best prices for the 2014 Ford C-Max Energi
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Ford C-Max Energi
- See Wagons rankings