2013 Ford C-Max-Energi
Ford C-Max-Energi Review
The 2013 Ford C-Max-Energi ranks 9 out of 9 Wagons. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ford C-Max-Energi, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid gets good reviews for its passenger room and handling, but some reviewers question if it’s a better buy than the hybrid Ford C-Max.
The 2013 Ford C-Max Energi is powered by a four-cylinder engine paired with an electric motor. Together, the two get an estimated 100 MPGe from the EPA, though critics report they had a tough time matching that number. On a standard household outlet, the C-Max Energi takes seven hours to charge and has an all-electric range of 21 miles. It has a continuously variable transmission that auto writers say makes the C-Max Energi feel underpowered. On the other hand, test drivers are mostly pleased with the C-Max Energi's steering, ride and handling, which they say is good for a plug-in hybrid.
The 2013 C-Max Energi seats five in a cabin that reviewers say is expansive, with a modern design that allows for excellent outward visibility. Standard features include SYNC with MyFord Touch infotainment and heated seats. Navigation and a sensor that allows hands-free operation of the cargo hatch are optional. Because its large battery pack intrudes into the cargo area, cargo space in the C-Max Energi is small for a wagon, though typical for a plug-in hybrid. Reviewers complain that the MyFord Touch infotainment system can be tough to use.
- "However, the standard C-Max Hybrid provides almost all those benefits (I averaged 31 mpg when we tested one in December), and I think it's a better buy than the more expensive Energi." -- Automobile Magazine
- "At $7750 more than the C-Max hybrid, and almost twice the $16,995 that Ford asks for the cheapest Focus four-door, the Energi isn't just asking you to be bold. It's asking you to be blind to its shortcomings and minimal gains while being a little reckless with your money. For drivers with longer freeway commutes, a conventional Focus may be at least as economical. And the base price doesn't include a home charging station and its installation or account for the $3751 federal tax credit or any state bribes that Energi buyers are eligible to receive. In science fiction this car may make sense. But in reality, the brave new world is still on back order." -- Car and Driver
- "In a category dominated by the Prius family of vehicles, the 2013 Ford C-Max has all the right stuff to compete head-to-head with one of the most recognized vehicle nameplates in history." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Still, the test C-Max Energi was a car that delighted with its styling, comfortable interior, sprightly power - both electric and gas engine - and agile handling." -- Associated Press
Other Wagons to Consider
Ford also offers the C-Max, which is a standard hybrid. Though you can't plug it in or run it on electric power alone for as long as the C-Max Energi, it offers almost the same styling and passenger space as the C-Max Energi, as well as more cargo space and a lower price tag.
The 2013 Chevrolet Volt doesn't have as much cargo space as the C-Max Energi, but it can be driven for longer distances in all-electric mode. Unlike the C-Max Energi, the Volt’s in-cabin technology tends to get positive remarks from most reviewers.
Details: 2013 Ford C-Max Energi
The 2013 Ford C-Max Energi is a five-seat plug-in hybrid that is all new for the 2013 model year. The C-Max Energi is the plug-in version of the Ford C-Max Hybrid. Its gas engine and electric motor make a combined 188 horsepower. According to Ford, a standard household outlet will charge the C-Max Energi in seven hours. With a full charge, the C-Max Energi can go up to 21 miles on electric power. Standard features include heated seats and Ford’s SYNC with MyFord Touch infotainment system.
Next Steps: Ford C-Max-Energi
- View the best prices for the 2013 Ford C-Max-Energi
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Ford C-Max-Energi
- See Wagons rankings