Ford C-Max Hybrid Review
The 2014 Ford C-Max Hybrid ranks 7 out of 10 Wagons. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ford C-Max Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
While it has a small cargo area and a frustrating optional infotainment system, reviewers say the 2014 Ford C-Max Hybrid is fun to drive for a hybrid and has lots of passenger space.
The C-Max Hybrid has a four-cylinder engine and an electric motor that test drivers think provide strong acceleration for a hybrid. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is standard. According to Ford, the 2014 C-Max Hybrid can travel at speeds up to 85 miles per hour on electric power alone. Most test drivers write that the Ford C-Max Hybrid has agile handling for a hybrid and a precise steering system that provides good feedback. Automotive journalists note that the ride can be harsh on very bumpy roads, but they say it is usually comfortable. Critics think the C-Max Hybrid’s brakes are strong.
Reviewers agree that the 2014 C-Max Hybrid has a well-constructed interior with an appealing design and high-quality materials. They think there is plenty of head- and legroom for four tall passengers to sit comfortably. However, the cargo area is small for a wagon. Standard features on the C-Max Hybrid include dual-zone automatic climate control, a 110-volt power outlet, a six-speaker audio system, a USB port, Bluetooth phone connectivity and SYNC, which allows you to control the vehicle’s communications and entertainment system using voice commands. Optional features include a MyFord Touch touch-screen infotainment system and active park assist, which helps steer the car into a parallel spot. Many critics think MyFord Touch complicates the adjustment of the audio and climate control systems, and others think the active park assist feature is one of the best available.
- "Because it's based on the Ford Focus the C-Max is more driver-friendly than the Prius, offering a better ride, a quieter cabin and a more polished interior." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Although it's hard not to imagine how much more useful the C-Max would be if it had sliding doors, it's the only hybrid in this price range that we could recommend to someone who genuinely enjoys driving." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "Where the C-Max Hybrid has its most obvious advantage, besides a somewhat lower sticker price, is that it excels as an example of discerning design. It's a very pleasant car to sit in, to drive, or just to lean on." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
- "The C-MAX follows in the footsteps of the original Fusion hybrid, combining commendable fuel economy with handling dynamics that actually encourage spirited driving. Those qualities, along with a refined interior and attractive pricing, should put the C-MAX on the short list of buyers looking for a spacious and economical ride." -- Left Lane News (2013)
Other Wagons to Consider
The Toyota Prius v is a hybrid that gets excellent fuel economy for a wagon. Critics say the Prius v has generous passenger space and comfortable seats, and it has more cargo space than the C-Max Hybrid.
Test drivers think the Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen has a high-quality interior and capable handling. The VW Jetta SportWagen is also available with a diesel engine, which delivers excellent fuel economy for the class.
Details: 2014 Ford C-Max Hybrid
The 2014 Ford C-Max Hybrid seats five and has front-wheel drive. It’s powered by a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and an electric motor, which are mated to a continuously variable transmission. The C-Max Hybrid comes in two trims: SE and SEL. The plug-in hybrid Ford C-Max Energi is reviewed separately. The C-Max Hybrid hasn’t changed much since its debut for the 2013 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 and 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Ford C-Max Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 Ford C-Max Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Ford C-Max Hybrid
- Search used Ford C-Max Hybrid for sale (2,954 listings)
- See Wagons rankings