2012 Ford Escape Hybrid Review
The 2012 Ford Escape Hybrid has the highest fuel economy ratings in its class, but it’s also one of the most outdated affordable compact SUVs on the market.
Overall, test drivers are impressed with the 2012 Ford Escape Hybrid’s outstanding fuel economy ratings and upscale technology features, but they say that everything else needs to be upgraded. The back seat doesn’t slide forward or back, the steering wheel tilts, but doesn’t telescope and the four-cylinder engine isn’t powerful.
Some shoppers may be willing to sacrifice utility in exchange for the 2012 Escape Hybrid’s high gas mileage, but even that will come at a cost because it is the most expensive model in the class. Test drivers note that there are gas-only alternatives that are less expensive, have higher-quality interiors and more standard amenities.
Other SUVs to Consider
The Escape Hybrid is the only hybrid model in its class, but the Chevrolet Equinox is a good choice if you want to save money up-front and get some of the highest fuel economy ratings for a gasoline-only compact SUV. The Chevrolet Equinox also has a more versatile, upscale interior that includes a sliding second row and a tilt and telescopic steering wheel.
The Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is a good option if you need a spacious back seat, an affordable price and high fuel economy ratings for a gasoline-only SUV. Compared with the Escape Hybrid, the Outlander Sport has stronger brakes and is also our 2011 Best Compact SUV for the Money because it is such a good value up-front and in the long run.
Details: Ford Escape Hybrid
The Escape Hybrid is available in two trims: the base and Limited. The 2012 Ford Escape Hybrid is practically identical to the 2011 model, so check out that model before you buy. You may be able to get a better deal.
- "The Escape Hybrid delivers a unique combination of hybrid fuel efficiency, SUV utility and a sort of rugged and refined style that's appropriate for both downtowns and campgrounds." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Escape Hybrid is also a very functional mini-SUV that's enjoyable to drive and quite dependable." -- CNN Money
- "Ford's compact crossover has its strengths, including an excellent 6-speed automatic transmission, comfortable passenger accommodations, and the availability of a frugal gas/electric hybrid model. Escape suffers from crude-sounding engines, low-rent cabin appointments, and a basic design that's more than a decade old. Still, Escape's virtues, combined with reasonable pricing, mean this small SUV is worth your consideration." -- Consumer Guide
- "A slew of innovative high-tech features make the 2012 Ford Escape a tempting choice in the compact crossover category. But most competitors are more appealing due to superior refinement and functionality." -- Edmunds
Next Steps: Ford Escape Hybrid
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Ford Escape Hybrid for sale (14,609 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Ford Escape Hybrid
- View Ford Escape Hybrid Photos
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings