2012 Ford Escape Hybrid Interior
Reviewers mention that the interior design and utility of the 2012 Ford Escape Hybrid lags behind competitors.
- "An upright dash, firm seats and clever features like available ambient lighting create a much more contemporary demeanor, but the overall feeling still seems a bit dated when compared with newer compact SUV offerings." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Disappointing overall. Escape's interior imparts a low-buck atmosphere with lots of hard-plastic trim and odd panel textures. Several test examples exhibited disappointing panel gaps and generally uneven fit and finish." -- Consumer Guide
The Escape Hybrid seats five, and reviewers have a few complaints about seat comfort and space. They dislike the high seating position that may be awkward for some drivers. They also dislike that the rear seats don't slide forward or back, which makes the Escape Hybrid much less versatile than other compact SUVs, like the GMC Terrain. On the bright side, the second row has plenty of leg space.
- "While the optional sunroof cuts into headroom a bit, most adults should find more than adequate space. Legroom is good for most adults, though taller riders would benefit from longer seat tracks. The seats themselves are comfortably supportive. Visibility is very good in all directions. … Knee and foot space are ample, aided by a flat floor. Three adults will fit for short trips on the nicely shaped rear bench. Entry and exit are hampered a bit by narrow door openings." -- Consumer Guide
- "In terms of comfort and space, though, the Escape feels its age. Up front, the seating position is too tall, which gives the driver the feeling of hovering above the controls, and there's no telescoping steering wheel." -- Edmunds
- "The vehicle lacks useful details such as sliding rear seats, as you get in the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4. The sliding seats in those models gives them 3 inches more rear legroom - important if you tote teens or adults back there." -- USA Today
The Escape Hybrid includes standard features like dual-zone climate control and a leather-wrapped steering wheel with cruise and audio controls. It also comes with Ford's Sync multimedia system that includes Bluetooth, 911 assist and turn-by-turn directions. The Limited model adds a moonroof.
While reviewers say that the Escape Hybrid offers competitive features and has controls that are relatively easy to use, they say the Escape Hybrid is outdated compared with other affordable compact SUVs. The interior has a budget look and feel, and it lacks a telescoping steering wheel.
- "The climate controls are simple to use. The navigation system absorbs most audio controls. It complicates some functions by requiring multiple button and/or touch-screen presses for some simple tasks. Redundant steering-wheel buttons and voice programming via Ford's Sync system help." -- Consumer Guide
- "Impressive as all that might be, potential buyers should know that the 2012 Ford Escape nonetheless lacks a few key items offered by most of its rivals, such as a telescoping steering wheel and a sliding/reclining backseat." -- Edmunds
The Escape Hybrid provides 66.4 cubic feet of space with the second row folded and 30.9 cubic feet with all seats up. That’s not as much as the Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4 and even slightly less than the gas-only Ford Escape.
One drawback is that folding the Escape Hybrid’s rear seats down can be a difficult multi-step process. In addition, the rear seat doesn’t slide back and forth to increase cargo space like it does on the less expensive Chevrolet Equinox.
- "A low, level load deck and opening tailgate glass make for handy cargo loading and hauling. The rear seat backs do fold flat, but require multiple, inconvenient steps to do so. In-cabin small-item storage includes several bins and cubbies. All 4 doors have map pockets as well." -- Consumer Guide
- "And folding that backseat is a multistep hassle compared to the simple flip-down design of other crossovers." -- Edmunds
Next Steps: Ford Escape Hybrid
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Ford Escape Hybrid for sale (14,609 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Ford Escape Hybrid
- View Ford Escape Hybrid Photos
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings