Ford Escape Review
The 2015 Ford Escape ranks 4 out of 25 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ford Escape, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Ford Escape is ranked:
Powerful turbocharged engine options, athletic handling and an upscale cabin help the 2015 Ford Escape stand out among its rivals, according to reviewers.
With its base four-cylinder engine, auto journalists say the 2015 Escape has sufficient power. The Escape is available with two turbocharged four-cylinder engine options, and reviewers write that with either one, the Escape has strong acceleration. However, they add that the larger of the two optional engines gives the Escape ample power for effortlessly climbing hills. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard. Fuel economy is up to an EPA-estimated 23/32 mpg city/highway, and while the 2015 Escape's overall fuel economy numbers are on par for the class, rivals like the Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester use a bit less fuel. Reviewers say that the Escape rides comfortably and they are delighted with its nimble handling and responsive steering. As a result, some critics say that it is one of the most fun-to-drive SUVs in the segment.
The 2015 Ford Escape's cabin has an attractive design and is built with top-notch materials, reviewers say. The Escape's front seats are comfortable and the rear-seats offer ample legroom, according to test drivers. Overall cargo space is competitive with that of class rivals, and reviewers find the available hands-free power liftgate helpful for opening the hatch when your hands are full. A rearview camera and Ford's SYNC voice command system with Bluetooth and a USB port are standard. A panoramic sunroof, parallel park assist, a 10-speaker Sony audio system, the MyFord Touch infotainment system, navigation and front and rear parking sensors are available. Some test drivers note that the MyFord Touch system is straightforward, but others mention its touch controls could be more responsive. Several praise the rich sound quality of the available Sony stereo system.
- "A compact crossover typically stands out among its peers about as much as an Emperor penguin does while chilling on an ice floe with a hundred or so of his mates. Yet the 2015 Ford Escape manages to not only distinguish itself with its chiseled good looks, but also garner critical praise thanks to its sharp handling, comfortable seating and high-end interior touches." -- Edmunds
- "Although there are dozens of compact SUVs from which to choose, few have the styling, performance and features offered by the 5-passenger 2015 Ford Escape. Beyond its cutting-edge engine options and handsome styling, the Escape offers nimble handling via its sport-tuned suspension and a plethora of electronics aimed at keeping tech-savvy consumers safely in touch with the world, even when in motion." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2014 Ford Escape compact crossover SUV combines sporty good looks with cutting-edge technology, appealing engine options and a high fun-to-drive factor. … And whether you're hauling people or stuff, you'll find the roomy Escape to be an exceptionally accommodating companion." -- AutoTrader (2014)
Other SUVs to Consider
Test drivers say the GMC Terrain offers an impressive amount of rear-seat space and a useful sliding rear seat. They also praise its strong optional V6 engine and find its available IntelliLink infotainment system intuitive.
The Nissan Rogue gets better fuel economy than the Escape, and reviewers like its top-notch interior materials. The Rogue also earns praise for its straightforward infotainment system, as well as its available 360-degree camera system, which makes it easy to park in close quarters.
Details: 2015 Ford Escape
The 2015 Ford Escape seats five and comes with either standard front-wheel drive or optional all-wheel drive. A 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic transmission are standard. A turbocharged 1.6-liter four cylinder engine or turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine are available. There are three trim levels: S, SE and Titanium. The Escape was last redesigned for the 2013 model year and sees few changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Ford Escape
- View the best prices for the 2015 Ford Escape
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Ford Escape
- Search used Ford Escape for sale (23,952 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings