Ford Escape Review
The 2016 Ford Escape ranks 5 out of 19 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ford Escape, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2016 Ford Escape is ranked:
The 2016 Ford Escape earns praise for its sporty car-like handling, strong optional turbocharged engines, roomy back seats and large cargo hold.
Powering the 2016 Ford Escape is a four-cylinder engine that reviewers say has decent power for daily driving. Two turbocharged four-cylinder engines are available and automotive journalists say each delivers more spirited acceleration. According to reviewers, each engine in the lineup is polished and quiet. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and reviewers say it shifts smoothly. The EPA estimates that the base Escape earns 22/31 mpg city/highway, which is average for the class. The Escape offers athletic handling and feels composed through turns, making it fun to drive, reviewers say. Though they note that its ride is firmer than some other compact SUVs, most automotive journalists agree that the Escape drives comfortably overall. However, a few say models equipped with the available 19-inch wheels can feel a bit harsh over bumps.
According to reviewers, the 2016 Ford Escape's cabin is good-looking and features premium materials, including soft-touch surfaces. Standard equipment includes a rearview camera and Ford's voice-activated SYNC system with Bluetooth and a USB port. Options include a panoramic sunroof, proximity key, parallel park assist, dual-zone automatic climate control, a 10-speaker Sony stereo system, an 8-inch touch screen, a SYNC 3 infotainment system, navigation, front and rear parking sensors and blind spot monitoring. Test drivers praise the SYNC 3 system for its ease of use, noting that it's much more straightforward than the outgoing MyFord Touch system. However, reviewers note that some climate and audio controls are difficult to distinguish and are hard to reach. The Escape has 67.8 cubic feet of cargo space, which is good for the class. Reviewers praise the available hands-free liftgate, which allows you to open the hatch by waving your foot under the rear bumper. Some test drivers also point out the Escape's low cargo floor makes the space easy to load.
- "The 2016 Ford Escape is one of our favorite small crossover utility vehicles, thanks to athletic driving dynamics, an inviting interior and advanced technology features." -- Edmunds
- "If you want your compact SUV to offer high style, good handling, solid fuel economy and a compelling blend of features, the 2016 Ford Escape could be just the ticket." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2014 Ford Escape compact crossover SUV combines sporty good looks with cutting-edge technology, appealing engine options and a high fun-to-drive factor. … And whether you're hauling people or stuff, you'll find the roomy Escape to be an exceptionally accommodating companion." -- AutoTrader (2014)
Ford Escape Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
The Nissan Rogue impresses reviewers with its high-end cabin materials and easy-to-use infotainment system. The Rogue also earns better fuel economy estimates than the Escape and can be equipped with an optional third row to increase seating to seven.
The Honda CR-V has lots of standard features for the class. Its front and rear seats have plenty of space, reviewers say, and it has one of the biggest cargo capacities in the class. Additionally, the CR-V earns better fuel economy estimates than the Escape.
Details: 2016 Ford Escape
The 2016 Ford Escape seats five and has standard front-wheel drive or available all-wheel drive. A 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic transmission are standard. A turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine or turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine are available. The Escape is available in three trims: S, SE and Titanium. The Ford Escape was last redesigned in 2013 and sees few changes for 2016. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 to 2016 model years.
Next Steps: Ford Escape
- View the best prices for the 2016 Ford Escape
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Ford Escape
- Search used Ford Escape for sale (23,952 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals