Ford Expedition Review
The 2013 Ford Expedition ranks 5 out of 8 Affordable Large SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ford Expedition, as well as reliability and safety data.
Reviewers say the 2013 Ford Expedition has excellent towing capacity, comfortable seating and good performance.
The 2013 Expedition comes with a V8 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. While test drivers note that the Expedition’s engine isn’t the most powerful in the class, they say that it provides adequate acceleration in most driving situations. Reviewers report that the transmission shifts smoothly. The Expedition achieves up to 14/20 mpg city/highway, which is average for the class, but trails competitors like the Chevrolet Suburban. Critics are impressed with the Expedition’s supple ride, even over rough patches of road. They also say that the independent rear suspension aids the Expedition’s handling, which they find better than some rivals. One reviewer says that its steering has good feedback as well.
Critics say the Expedition’s cabin is inviting, but complain about the poor interior materials, including hard-touch surfaces and cheap-looking plastics. The automotive press says the Expedition’s interior is spacious. Reviewers say that all seating positions are comfortable and supportive and even think the third-row seats are adult-friendly over short trips. The Expedition offers a fair amount of cargo space, but trails rivals like the Chevrolet Suburban and Toyota Sequoia. If you need more storage room, the long-wheelbase EL model expands the Expedition’s cargo space. Critics say that while the controls feel and look dated, they are easy to use. Standard features include a six-speaker stereo system with auxiliary jack and satellite radio. Higher trims and optional features include dual-zone automatic climate control, a rearview camera, navigation and an upgraded sound system.
- "Regardless of the Expedition's so-last-century architecture, there remain a lot of people hauling kids and towing trailers. And for those that regard a truck-based SUV as a necessary tool, the Expedition remains one of the best." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Although this setup means the Expedition is heavier, thirstier and less wieldy on the pavement than most crossovers, it also possess towing and off-road abilities that those wagons-on-stilts can only dream of." -- Left Lane News
- "Interior materials trail those of some competitors, but for useful power, cargo space, passenger room, and surprisingly adept handling, this Ford merits serious consideration." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
- "The Expedition has a few advantages over its main rival, including a comfortable third-row seat that folds into the floor and a superior ride quality." -- Edmunds (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Toyota Sequoia is a smart alternative because of its comparably high reliability rating. Reviewers like the Sequoia’s powerful engine and say it comfortably seats adults in its third row. It gets lower fuel economy estimates than the Expedition, but can also carry more cargo.
The Chevrolet Suburban is a good choice if you’re seeking maximum cargo space and excellent towing capability. Critics think the Suburban has a comfortable ride on the highway. Additionally, the Suburban gets better gas mileage than the Expedition and can seat up to nine when equipped with a front bench seat.
Details: 2013 Ford Expedition
The Ford Expedition seats up to eight and has a V8 engine paired to a six-speed automatic transmission. The Expedition comes in either regular- or long-wheelbase EL models. It comes in three trims regardless of wheelbase: XLT, Limited and King Ranch. Higher trims come with additional interior features and upgraded materials. Not much has changed from prior years on the 2013 Expedition. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from model years 2007 to 2013.
Next Steps: Ford Expedition
- View the best prices for the 2013 Ford Expedition
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Ford Expedition
- Search used Ford Expedition for sale (5,981 listings)
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings