2015 Ford Explorer Review
Bewildering tech features and confining rear seats disappoint reviewers, who otherwise like the 2015 Ford Explorer's first-rate interior.
The base V6 engine in the 2015 Ford Explorer delivers good power for day-to-day driving, critics say. Front-wheel drive models can be fitted with an available turbocharged four-cylinder engine, and the Explorer Sport comes with a turbocharged V6 that test drivers say produces generous power. The 2015 Explorer earns good fuel economy for its class with an EPA-estimated 17/24 mpg city/highway. Four-cylinder Explorer models get 20/28 mpg, which is very good for a three-row SUV. Many test drivers note that the Explorer feels larger and more cumbersome to drive than other SUVs in the class. However, they appreciate its comfortable ride and accurate steering.
Reviewers say the 2015 Explorer’s front row is made of premium materials, but they point out that less-expensive materials are introduced in the second and third rows. The Explorer seats seven, six when captain's chairs are installed in the second row, but critics say adult passengers will find the second and third rows tight. They add that broad door sills make it difficult to climb into and out of the Explorer, and some find the driver's side rearward visibility inadequate. The Explorer offers a bit less maximum cargo space than many competitors, though some auto writers say that there’s still a useful amount of room behind the third row. Test drivers report that the available MyFord Touch infotainment system has received updates that make it more intuitive, but they note that it can be distracting to use while driving, and that the systems found in most rival SUVs are still easier to use. The 2015 Ford Explorer is available with features like a rearview camera, Ford’s voice-activated Sync system (with Bluetooth and a USB port), the MyFord Touch infotainment system with an 8-inch touch screen, navigation, proximity key, push-button start, parallel park assist, lane departure warning, lane keeping assist, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control and a power liftgate.
- "While no longer the rugged off-roader of its ancestry, the Ford Explorer remains an important player in the market, particularly against other crossover SUVs like the Chevrolet Traverse, Nissan Pathfinder, Dodge Durango, Toyota Highlander, and Honda Pilot." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Overall, we think the Edmunds.com ‘B’ rated 2015 Ford Explorer is a respectable choice that can provide you with the right kind of utility and some extra style, but it's worth looking around in this ever-expanding segment before you make up your mind." -- Edmunds
- "Relative to current rivals, the Explorer stands apart with its smooth ride, sleek design and high-quality interior with cutting-edge technology. The 7-passenger SUV might not be as roomy as a minivan or even some slightly larger competitors from GM. But there's no doubt the reinvented Explorer is one of the best of its breed." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "Now in its fourth year, this generation of the Ford Explorer remains an attractive choice in the crowded and competitive three-row crossover segment." -- Automobile Magazine (2014)
Ford Explorer Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
Test drivers say the Dodge Durango has controlled handling and a powerful base engine, as well as an exceptionally strong V8 engine option. The Durango also impresses critics with an infotainment system that’s exceptionally easy to use.
The Chevrolet Traverse offers more overall cargo space than most SUVs in the class, and critics agree that it has a roomy third row. The Traverse also earns praise for its quiet, high-quality interior.
Details: 2015 Ford Explorer
The 2015 Ford Explorer seats up to seven and comes with standard front-wheel drive or optional all-wheel drive. A 3.5-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission are standard. The Explorer comes in base, XLT, Limited and Sport trims, and hasn’t changed much for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Ford Explorer
- View the best prices for the 2015 Ford Explorer
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Ford Explorer
- Search used Ford Explorer for sale (17,517 listings)
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals