Ford F-150 Review
The 2015 Ford F-150 ranks 2 out of 6 Full Size Pickup Trucks. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ford F-150, as well as reliability and safety data.
Fully redesigned with an all-aluminum body, the 2015 Ford F-150 impresses reviewers with its nimble handling, spacious cabin and powerful turbocharged V6 engine options.
The 2015 F-150 has a base 3.5-liter V6 engine, though reviewers recommend stepping up to the newly available turbocharged 2.7-liter V6, which they say gives the F-150 swift acceleration. A larger, turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 is also available, which reviewers say makes impressive power and has plenty of muscle for heavy towing. A V8 is also optional. With the base engine and rear-wheel drive, the F-150 gets an EPA-estimated 18/25 mpg city/highway, which is on par for the class. Thanks to its new aluminum body, the new F-150 is lighter than the outgoing model, which reviewers say contributes to its nimble handling. Auto journalists say the F-150 rides comfortably and has controlled body motions, though some note that its ride isn't as supple as the Ram 1500's. Some critics report that the F-150's brakes are a bit too sensitive, and they complain about its numb brake pedal feel.
Most reviewers write that the redesigned 2015 Ford F-150's cabin is constructed with mostly high-quality, soft-touch materials, though some say that the Ram 1500 and Chevrolet Silverado have cabins that feel more opulent. The F-150 offers excellent outward visibility from the driver’s seat and has front seats that are very comfortable, reviewers say. They add that the SuperCrew's rear quarters have a generous amount of space. Available features include Ford's SYNC voice command system, a USB port, a rearview camera, Bluetooth, the MyFord Touch infotainment system, adaptive cruise control and navigation. Test drivers say that the MyFord Touch system is much more user-friendly and responsive than it used to be, and some praise its straightforward operation.
- "Its aluminum body and bed mark a sea change in an industry that so often drifts with the current. Just as aluminum often indicates top-shelf beer these days, the lightweight metal is also an indicator of a better truck." -- Car and Driver
- "The all-new F-150 offers best-in-class towing and payload capacity, plus smaller displacement engines with impressive fuel economy. It's built for hard work, yet has a quiet cabin filled with modern luxury amenities. It has a wide offering of cabs, engines, trim levels and interiors." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Like that car, the new F-150 does its very best not to advertise how modern it is. But don't be fooled. In its construction, its cabin, and in the way it goes down the road, the 2015 Ford F-150 is a much more refined tool than the one it replaces." -- Automobile Magazine
- "The latest F-150 rises to the occasion, offering excellent capabilities, great gas mileage, an impressive new engine, a dramatically improved interior and a wide range of new high-tech gadgets. Yes, it's true that the 2015 Ford F-150 may not look very different from last year's model, but we can assure you that it's fully redesigned and worthy of a spot at the top of your shopping list." -- AutoTrader
- "The big deal with Ford's new F-150 is the aluminum body. With it, the material has hit the mainstream-it doesn't get much more so than the bestselling vehicle in America. While that's its own milestone, Ford did a lot to take advantage of the lighter body's obvious and more subtle advantages, creating a truck that's going to beat up on the domestic competition." -- Road and Track
Other Trucks to Consider
Test drivers say the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 has strong brakes and a comfortable, composed ride. The Silverado earns praise for its whisper-quiet cabin and first-rate interior materials.
The Ram 1500 has one of the most comfortable, car-like rides among full-size trucks, reviewers say. It gets great fuel economy for the class with its available diesel engine, and reviewers like the added utility of its available lockable RamBox storage compartments in the bed.
Details: 2015 Ford F-150
The Ford F-150 is fully redesigned for the 2015 model year. Rear-wheel drive is standard and four-wheel drive is optional. Regular cab models seat three, while SuperCab (extended cab) and SuperCrew (crew cab) models seat up to six. There are four engine choices: a base 3.5-liter V6, a turbocharged 2.7-liter V6, a turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 and a 5.0-liter V8. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard. There are five trim levels: XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum.