Ford Flex Performance
Automotive journalists say the 2015 Ford Flex is one of the most polished performers in the class, with a comfortable ride, agile handling and a smooth-shifting six-speed automatic transmission. They also note that the Flex has very good fuel economy for the class, and that the available twin-turbocharged V6 produces more power than expected.
- "No matter the model, the Flex provides a very pleasant, if not exactly exciting, driving experience." -- Edmunds
- "Other positives include optional all-wheel drive, a respectable driving experience, and an available twin-turbo engine." -- Automobile Magazine (2014)
- "On the road, the Flex is one of our favorite vehicles. It's easy to drive, can haul lots of people and stuff and gets pretty good fuel economy on the highway." -- AutoTrader (2014)
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Ford Flex comes standard with a 3.5-liter V6 engine that makes 287 horsepower. A twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine that makes 365 horsepower is available on all-wheel drive models. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard with either engine. The base Flex earns 18/25 mpg city/highway, according to the EPA, which is great fuel economy for the class.
Auto writers report that the standard V6 engine has sufficient power for most driving situations, but that the twin-turbo V6 is much more suitable if you want quicker acceleration and a boost in power. The automatic transmission is one of the smoothest-shifting around, reviewers add.
- "The 2015 Ford Flex's base V6 is adequate for a vehicle this size, providing enough gusto to keep up with competing crossovers. The turbocharged V6, meanwhile, is deceptively fast." -- Edmunds
- "The base 287-horsepower engine gives adequate acceleration but the EcoBoost option is clearly stronger (365 horsepower) and adds an element of sportiness to the drive." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
- "The base 3.5-liter V6 is satisfyingly strong and linear when passing and merging, but if you're looking for thrilling acceleration, the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine is the obvious choice." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "The six-speed automatic transmission also continues to be among the smoothest in the industry, with buttery shifts that exude quality and prompt kickdowns when summoned with appropriate throttle inputs." -- Autoblog (2013)
Handling and Braking
The 2015 Ford Flex comes standard with front-wheel drive, and all-wheel drive is available. The automotive press writes that the 2015 Flex has nimble handling for a large SUV, with very little body lean in turns and precise steering. They add that the Flex is easy to maneuver in tight spaces, and that strong brakes bring it to a stop with ease.
- "We also like Flex's refined nature and good handling." -- Consumer Guide
- "Uncharacteristically responsive steering adds to the Flex's well-rounded dynamics, as it makes parking easy and provides excellent stability on the open road." -- Edmunds
- "Speaking of fun to drive, the Ford Flex handles much better than many three-row crossovers and minivans. Its electric power steering is well calibrated, and the 2013 update brought larger brakes that are reassuringly strong." -- Automobile Magazine (2014)
- "The 2014 Ford Flex manages to feel maneuverable and responsive despite its wide body and long wheelbase. Through tight turns, especially, it shows good poise, and its smooth ride and quiet interior help make for a pleasant driving experience. Sway and body roll are minimal thanks to taut suspension, big wheel and tire packages and the Flex's low-to-the-ground stance." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
Research Prices: 2015 Ford Flex
Over 50,000 car shoppers have purchased a car through the U.S. News Best Price Program. Our pricing beat the national average 86% of the time with shoppers receiving average savings of $3,221 off MSRP across vehicles. See what others paid for the Ford Flex and get upfront pricing to make sure you don't overpay. Learn More »
Next Steps: Ford Flex
- View the best prices for the 2015 Ford Flex
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Ford Flex
- Search used Ford Flex for sale (3,645 listings)
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals