Ford Flex Review
The 2015 Ford Flex ranks 8 out of 13 Affordable Large SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ford Flex, as well as reliability and safety data.
Though it has minimal cargo area and a perplexing infotainment system, reviewers like the 2015 Ford Flex's nimble handling and roomy seating for seven.
A V6 engine comes standard in the 2015 Ford Flex, and automotive writers say it delivers adequate power. They prefer the twin-turbocharged V6, however, for its quick acceleration. Both engines are mated to a six-speed automatic transmission that critics say has exceptionally smooth shifts. According to the EPA, the Flex gets up to 18/25 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class. Auto writers think the 2015 Flex has agile handling for an SUV, as well as a smooth, quiet ride. They add that the Flex has good steering feel, and that it’s easy to maneuver in tight spaces.
Though some test drivers think there's a lot of cheap plastic in the 2015 Ford Flex's cabin, others find the interior well-designed and constructed with top-notch materials. Automotive journalists report that the cabin is spacious, seating adults comfortably in each of the Flex's three rows. They say the Flex has a useful amount of cargo space, although it's small for the class. The 2015 Flex comes standard with heated side mirrors, rear parking sensors and Ford’s voice-controlled SYNC system with Bluetooth and a USB port. Available features include adaptive cruise control, dual-zone automatic climate control, satellite radio, navigation, the MyFord Touch infotainment system with an 8-inch touch screen, HD Radio, a rearview camera, parallel park assist, a 12-speaker Sony audio system, a panoramic sunroof, a rear-seat entertainment system and a second-row refrigerated console. Many critics report that the MyFord Touch system is complicated to use and prone to glitches. As a result, some recommend trying the system out before purchasing the Flex.
- "Along with space for up to seven passengers and all of their gear, the Flex boasts an available 355-horsepower EcoBoost V6 and love-it-or-hate-it sheetmetal that sets it apart from the crowd." -- Left Lane News
- "While Flex's boxy styling may not appeal to everyone, this large, comfortable people mover deserves consideration." -- Consumer Guide
- "The 2015 Ford Flex offers a desirable combination of space, versatility, features and solid driving dynamics. It's a top choice among large, seven-passenger family crossovers." -- Edmunds
- "It's striking and stylish as well as functional and useful - a fine combination similar to minivans and SUVs in capabilities, but clearly different from both." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
Ford Flex Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
The Dodge Durango has an available V8 engine that reviewers say delivers strong acceleration and impressive power. The Durango also has an easy-to-use infotainment system, according to auto writers, as well as poised handling and a smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic transmission.
Automotive journalists think the Chevrolet Traverse has a quiet interior with high-quality materials. They add that the Traverse has a large cargo area, as well as comfortable, spacious seating in all three rows.
Details: 2015 Ford Flex
The 2015 Ford Flex seats up to seven and comes standard with a 3.5-liter V6 engine, while a twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 is available. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard with either engine. Front-wheel drive is standard, while all-wheel drive is available with the base engine and standard with the twin-turbo V6. The Flex is offered in three trims: SE, SEL and Limited. The Flex was refreshed for the 2013 model year, but has not been redesigned since it was introduced for the 2009 model year. Since it sees no major changes for 2015, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Ford Flex
- View the best prices for the 2015 Ford Flex
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Ford Flex
- Search used Ford Flex for sale (3,645 listings)
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals