Ford Focus Electric Review
The 2015 Ford Focus Electric ranks 22 out of 27 Affordable Compact Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ford Focus Electric, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Ford Focus Electric is ranked:
The 2015 Ford Focus Electric has an upscale interior and agile handling for an EV, but its confusing infotainment system and reduced cargo capacity may limit its appeal, according to test drivers.
Reviewers report that the 2015 Ford Focus Electric delivers strong acceleration around the city, though some write that acceleration weakens noticeably at highway speeds. According to the EPA, the Focus Electric gets 110/99 mpg-e (miles per gallon-equivalent) city/highway and can travel 76 miles on a fully charged battery. Those estimates are a bit low for an all-electric vehicle. Though some test drivers report that the Focus Electric is less nimble than the gas-only Focus, they think it has nimble handling for an EV. They add that it has accurate steering, a comfortable ride and smoother braking than many hybrid and electric vehicles.
According to critics, the 2015 Ford Focus Electric has an attractive interior that's quiet and appointed with premium materials. However, auto writers note that the Focus Electric is short on rear-seat legroom and its battery pack cuts into cargo space considerably. Standard features in the 2015 Ford Focus Electric include heated front seats, navigation, a rearview camera, dual-zone automatic climate control, the MyFord Touch infotainment system, a Sony audio system, satellite radio, two USB ports, Bluetooth and SYNC, which allows you use voice commands to control some smartphone and audio functions. Available features include leather upholstery and a power-adjustable driver seat. Some test drivers are impressed with the Focus Electric's tech features, noting that MyFord Touch has an attractive screen and that SYNC's voice control features are helpful. However, others think both systems can be complex and distracting.
- "It entails a number of compromises - including decreased cargo space, a high price and an abbreviated 76-mile range - compared to the standard Focus hatchback on which it's based, but the Focus Electric's ease of use and conventional styling should be major draws for those who want an EV that feels like a normal car." -- Left Lane News
- "If your goal is to be green and drive a car no one will suspect is electric, the Focus Electric is a fine choice." -- Consumer Guide
- "… there are a lot of desirable cars for that kind of coin. But if you're sold on what EVs have to offer, give the 2014 Ford Focus Electric a close look. It's one of the best of its breed. …" -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "Perhaps the biggest win for the Electric is that it largely acts the same as any Focus you'll find at a Ford dealer - it's comfortable, nicely appointed, handsome and quite engaging to drive." -- Autoblog (2012)
Ford Focus Electric Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
The all-electric Nissan Leaf earns praise from reviewers for its roomy back seat and user-friendly tech features. The Leaf has more cargo space behind its rear seat than the Focus Electric, and it can travel farther on a fully charged battery.
Test drivers say the Chevrolet Spark EV is a blast to drive thanks to its zippy acceleration and responsive handling. The Spark EV costs less than the Focus Electric, and it has a higher mpg-e rating.
Details: 2015 Ford Focus Electric
The 2015 Ford Focus Electric is a five-seat hatchback that comes with an electric motor, a single-speed transmission and front-wheel drive. The gas-only Ford Focus is reviewed separately. The Focus Electric gets refreshed interior and exterior styling for the 2015 model year, but it hasn’t had a full redesign since its debut in the 2012 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Ford Focus Electric
- View the best prices for the 2015 Ford Focus Electric
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Ford Focus Electric
- Search used Ford Focus Electric for sale (25,865 listings)
- See Affordable Compact Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals