Ford Focus Electric Review
The 2014 Ford Focus Electric ranks 13 out of 16 Upscale Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ford Focus Electric, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Ford Focus Electric is ranked:
If you’re ready to accept the range limitations and extra cost of an EV, test drivers say the 2014 Ford Focus Electric delivers strong acceleration and a quiet, comfortable interior.
The 2014 Focus Electric has an electric motor and a single-speed transmission, and reviewers say that the combination delivers smooth, strong acceleration from a standstill and plenty of power to dart through heavy traffic. Still, a few test drivers note that acceleration is a bit weaker at higher speeds. The EPA says the Focus Electric gets 110/99 mpg-e (miles per gallon-equivalent) city/highway and has a range of 76 miles on a full battery. This range is less than the range of electric vehicles like the Chevrolet Spark EV and the Nissan Leaf, but better than the electric-only range of most plug-in hybrids. Reviewers write that while it’s not as sporty as the gas-powered Focus, the Focus Electric still handles well, with accurate steering, strong brakes and a suspension that delivers both good cornering and a pleasant ride.
Automotive journalists say that the Focus Electric has a well-designed interior that’s built with high-quality materials. Test drivers think that the Focus Electric has comfortable and roomy front seats. They wish the battery didn’t take up so much cargo space, but this is common among EVs. Standard features on the Ford Focus Electric include dual-zone automatic climate control, heated front seats, push-button start, a nine-speaker Sony stereo system, satellite radio, navigation and the MyFord Touch infotainment system with SYNC, which allows you to connect your smartphone via USB or Bluetooth and control it using voice commands. Options include leather upholstery and a power-adjustable driver’s seat. Automotive journalists say the Focus Electric’s features are easy to use, except for MyFord Touch, which some say can be confusing.
- "The Focus Electric is the first all-electric vehicle in Ford's 110-year history. It entails a number of compromises - including decreased cargo space, a high price and an abbreviated 76-mile range - compared to the standard Focus hatchback on which it's based, but the Focus Electric's ease of use and conventional styling should be major draws for those who want an EV that feels like a normal car." -- Left Lane News
- "Focus Electric is among the more rewarding pure-electric vehicles to drive. And, for the most part, it feels like a conventional Focus. Prices are high, however, as the Chevrolet Volt and Nissan Leaf have added options and lowered base prices for 2013." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "Perhaps the biggest win for the Electric is that it largely acts the same as any Focus you'll find at a Ford dealer - it's comfortable, nicely appointed, handsome and quite engaging to drive." -- Autoblog (2012)
- "Like every other pure electric car to date, the Focus Electric comes with a whole host of compromises. It costs more than a typical Focus, doesn't go nearly as far and lacks the precise driving dynamics that make the standard hatchback such a gem." -- Edmunds (2012)
Other Cars to Consider
If you’re concerned about the Focus Electric’s range, consider the Chevrolet Volt, which can run on electricity, gas or both. Reviewers say that the Volt handles well for an EV, and they like its high-quality interior.
The Nissan Leaf is less expensive than the Focus Electric, and test drivers write that it has smooth acceleration and a comfortable ride. The Leaf also has a higher mpg-e rating, which means you’ll spend less on electricity.
Details: 2014 Ford Focus Electric
The 2014 Ford Focus Electric is a five-seat hatchback that has front-wheel drive. An electric motor and a single-speed transmission are standard. The gas-powered Ford Focus is reviewed separately. The Focus Electric is available in one trim, and hasn’t changed much since it debuted for the 2012 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012 through 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Ford Focus Electric
- View the best prices for the 2014 Ford Focus Electric
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Ford Focus Electric
- Search used Ford Focus Electric for sale (25,865 listings)
- See Upscale Small Cars rankings