2013 Ford Focus Electric
- Used Ford Focus Electric
Ford Focus Electric Performance
Many reviewers like that the 2013 Ford Focus Electric has good acceleration, but like many electric cars, they complain about the brakes. Some critics think they’re a little too grabby, but say they aren’t the worst regenerative brakes they’ve ever used. On the bright side, reviewers find that it drives a lot like the gas-only model.
- "So, it looks like a Focus, is as nicely refined inside as a Focus, and - surprise, surprise - it drives like a Focus, too. That is to say, it's smooth, predictable and easy to manage, while offering a surprising amount of driver engagement." -- Autoblog (2012)
- "While the dynamic performance of Ford's first-ever electric car can best be described as adequate, Ford has done a superior job of integrating electric propulsion into a normal package." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
Acceleration and Power
The Ford Focus Electric has a 92 kW electric motor that makes 143 horsepower and a 23 kWh lithium-ion battery. It also has a single-speed automatic transmission. Once charged, the EPA says the Focus Electric can achieve 110/99 mpg-e (miles per gallon-equivalent) city/highway. Ford says it can travel 76 miles on a fully-charged battery.
Most reviewers think the Focus Electric has strong acceleration from a stop, which can be attributed to its 184 pound-feet of torque.
- "Off the line acceleration was also impressive, and it was too easy to squeal the tires, being used to four-cylinder gas engines without a lot of down-low torque. Though this isn't the car's mission; instead, it's a by-product of the electric motor's might." -- Left Lane News
- "And thanks to impressive refinement and all that instant torque on tap, the Focus Electric can offer at least a genuinely enjoyable way of passing the time." -- Edmunds (2012)
- "The Focus electric's acceleration is outstanding, but the top speed is limited to 84 m.p.h." -- The Detroit Free Press (2012)
- "Acceleration has the slow grace of a Lincoln Town Car." -- Car and Driver (2012)
Batteries and Charging
The Ford Focus Electric can be charged at home, either from a typical 120-volt home outlet or an optional quick charging station. With a 120-volt outlet, it should take about 20 hours to charge the Focus Electric. Charging time decreases significantly with the 240-volt charging station. Ford says it should take four hours to charge the Ford Focus Electric. On a fully-charged battery, the Focus Electric can travel 76 miles.
Handling and Braking
Test drivers don’t say much about the Ford Focus Electric’s steering, but one reviewer thinks it’s accurate and makes the car a little fun to drive. A different test driver doesn’t detect body roll. Critics have more to say about the regenerative brakes, and give them mixed reviews. They report that the brakes are a little touchy and light, but more than one auto writer thinks the regenerative brakes aren’t as grabby as the ones found in other electric vehicles.
- "With the independent multilink rear suspension, no untoward body motions are observed. The ride is perfectly acceptable, thanks to recalibrations made necessary by the extra weight." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
- "We immediately noticed that the electric Focus acts a lot like any other Focus. You get the regular car's solid chassis, refined manners, precise steering, and playful character." -- Car and Driver (2012)
- "But when it's time to slow things down, the brakes aren't super touchy like some hybrids and EVs with overly obtrusive regenerative braking." -- Autoblog (2012)
- "The brakes aren't as grabby as we expected, but they do take some getting used to." -- Left Lane News
- "The only shortcoming I sensed was a matter of taste: The Focus Electric's braking effort was too light for me, sort of a latter-day analogue of original ‘power brakes.’" -- Road and Track (2012)
Next Steps: Ford Focus Electric
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Ford Focus Electric
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Ford Focus Electric for sale (12,367 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Ford Focus-Electric
- See what others paid for the 2013 Ford Focus Electric
- View Ford Focus Electric Photos
- See Upscale Small Cars rankings