Ford Fusion Energi Review
The 2015 Ford Fusion Energi ranks 17 out of 18 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ford Fusion Energi, as well as reliability and safety data.
Critics say the steep price, undersized trunk and confounding infotainment system may overshadow the 2015 Ford Fusion Energi's good-looking, sturdy cabin.
Test drivers find that the four-cylinder engine and electric motor in the 2015 Ford Fusion Energi provide a spirited driving experience in the city. In all-electric mode at highway speeds, however, they say the Fusion Energi struggles to keep pace. The 2015 Ford Fusion Energi gets an EPA-estimated 88 mpg-equivalent in electric mode, which is less than what plug-in hybrid competitors like the Chevrolet Volt and Toyota Prius Plug-in get. Most reviewers think the Fusion Energi has responsive handling for a hybrid. However, some note that the extra weight of its hybrid components negatively affects its ride and handling when compared with the gas-only Fusion. Critics also report that the Fusion Energi’s regenerative brakes make it difficult to stop smoothly.
The Ford Fusion Energi's top-quality interior materials and stylish cabin design earn reviewers' praise. They add that the driver's seat is easily positioned for comfort, and two adults can fit in the rear seat without problem. Automotive writers don't like the Fusion Energi's undersized trunk, which is small for a plug-in hybrid, or the MyFord Touch infotainment system, whose controls make performing even basic adjustments a challenge. Standard features in the 2015 Fusion Energi include leather upholstery, power-adjustable front seats, heated front seats, a rearview camera, dual-zone automatic climate control, a six-speaker audio system, satellite radio, the MyFord Touch infotainment system and Ford’s voice-activated SYNC system, which includes a USB port and Bluetooth. Available features include ventilated front seats, rear parking sensors, parallel park assist, adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic monitoring, active lane keep assist, inflatable rear seat belts, a 12-speaker Sony audio system, navigation and a moonroof.
- "Although the 2015 Ford Fusion Energi is pricey compared with the already very fuel-efficient Fusion Hybrid, it's still a great choice if you're looking for a hybrid car with plug-in capability." -- Edmunds
- "You'll be driving for quite a while before you recover, in lower gasoline costs, the higher premium paid for the plug-in electric Fusion Energi. Why buy it? Answering that question will require thinking beyond your bank account, which is a difficult if not impossible proposition for most of us." -- The Washington Post (2014)
- "Test Drive believes alternative power vehicles should look and drive like normal cars to broaden their appeal beyond fans. Fusion Energi passes that test with a high grade." -- USA Today (2013)
- "It offers the most fuel-efficient take to date of the automaker's smartly styled midsize sedan, but like all plug-in players, that frugality does come at both a price and a cost." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
The Toyota Prius Plug-in has better fuel economy ratings than the Fusion Energi, whether you’re running on gas or electric power. It also has more than twice as much cargo space, and reviewers appreciate the Prius Plug-in’s spacious back seat and comfortable ride.
The Chevrolet Volt can go farther on a fully charged battery, and reviewers say it has nimble handling and a responsive electric powertrain with plenty of highway passing power. The Volt’s stylish interior and top-notch cabin materials also appeal to critics.
Details: 2015 Ford Fusion Energi
The 2015 Ford Fusion Energi is a plug-in hybrid sedan that comes in SE and Titanium trims. The Fusion Energi is powered by a four-cylinder engine and an electric motor, which are mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT) and front-wheel drive. The Ford Fusion Hybrid and gas-only Ford Fusion are reviewed separately. The Ford Fusion Energi hasn’t changed much since its introduction in 2013, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013, 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Ford Fusion Energi
- View the best prices for the 2015 Ford Fusion Energi
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Ford Fusion Energi
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings