2014 Ford Fusion Energi
- 2013 Ford Fusion Energi
Ford Fusion Energi Review
The 2014 Ford Fusion Energi ranks 16 out of 21 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ford Fusion Energi, as well as reliability and safety data.
Great fuel economy and a roomy, upscale cabin make the 2014 Ford Fusion Energi a compelling pick, reviewers say, but a high base price detracts from its appeal.
The 2014 Ford Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid has a four-cylinder engine and an electric motor, and reviewers say that the Fusion Energi’s powertrain offers enough power on city streets, but that it can lose steam at higher speeds. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is standard. It takes seven hours to charge the battery using a 120-volt outlet, and two and a half hours using a 240-volt outlet. The Fusion Energi gets an EPA-estimated 44/41 mpg city/highway in hybrid mode, or the equivalent of 100 mpg when operating on electric power. Most test drivers say that the Fusion Energi’s handling is impressive, the ride is steady and steering is sharp. However, a few note that the Fusion Energi’s battery weighs the car down, which can negatively affect the ride quality. The Fusion Energi has eight standard air bags, including driver and front passenger knee air bags, which is more air bags than are typically standard in this segment. Standard safety features also include a post-crash alert system, which automatically flashes the lights and sounds the horn in the event of an accident.
Reviewers are pleased with the Fusion Energi’s cabin for its modern design, upscale materials and ample room, especially in the rear seats. However, they say the standard MyFord Touch infotainment system is confusing and difficult to use. Standard features include leather-trimmed heated front seats, a 10-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, a heated steering wheel, dual-zone automatic climate control, satellite radio and Bluetooth. Optional features include rear parking sensors, a rearview camera, active park assist, adaptive cruise control, remote start, a Sony audio system, a moonroof and navigation.
- "You'll be driving for quite a while before you recover, in lower gasoline costs, the higher premium paid for the plug-in electric Fusion Energi. Why buy it? Answering that question will require thinking beyond your bank account, which is a difficult if not impossible proposition for most of us." -- The Washington Post
- "Test Drive believes alternative power vehicles should look and drive like normal cars to broaden their appeal beyond fans. Fusion Energi passes that test with a high grade." -- USA Today (2013)
- "In the final analysis, the 2013 Ford Fusion Energi is a remarkable car, yet we still find it hard to recommend over the highly regarded Fusion Hybrid it's based on given the sizable price difference." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "It offers the most fuel-efficient take to date of the automaker's smartly styled midsize sedan, but like all plug-in players, that frugality does come at both a price and a cost." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
The Honda Accord Plug-in gets better fuel economy and mpg-equivalent ratings than the Fusion Energi. Its range on electric power is only 13 miles versus the Fusion Energi’s 21-mile range. The Accord Plug-in charges in three hours using a 120-volt outlet, which is a significantly faster charge time than the Fusion Energi. The Accord Plug-in also earns reviewer praise for its spacious, upscale cabin.
The Toyota Prius Plug-in gets better gas mileage than the Fusion Energi in hybrid mode and it also has a lot more cargo space. Like the Honda Accord Plug-in, the Prius Plug-in charges in three hours using a 120-volt outlet.
Details: 2014 Ford Fusion Energi
The 2014 Ford Fusion Energi is a plug-in hybrid sedan that comes in two trims: SE and Titanium. The Fusion Energi has a continuously variable transmission and is powered by a four-cylinder gas engine and an electric motor. The Ford Fusion Hybrid and gas-only Ford Fusion are reviewed separately. Ford introduced the Fusion Energi for the 2013 model year and not much has changed for 2014, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 and 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Ford Fusion Energi
- View the best prices for the 2014 Ford Fusion Energi
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Ford Fusion Energi
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings