Ford Fusion Energi Performance
The 2015 Ford Fusion Energi has composed handling for a hybrid, critics say, though it’s not quite as agile as the gas-only Fusion. Some test drivers also write that the Fusion Energi’s highway acceleration is sluggish, though they think it feels lively enough in the city.
- "While its fuel economy is a big part of its appeal, the Fusion Energi also offers the same handsome styling, nimble handling, smooth ride and quiet cabin as the rest of the Fusion lineup." -- Edmunds
- "The Energi has a firm suspension that keeps its 3986 pounds under control, but weighing 622 more pounds than a conventional, gas-powered Fusion SE takes its toll on the Energi's athleticism." -- Car and Driver (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Ford Fusion Energi is powered by a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and an electric motor that produce 188 horsepower combined. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is standard. According to the EPA, the Fusion Energi gets 40/36 mpg when running solely on gas, and can go up to 19 miles on electricity. In electric mode, the 2015 Fusion Energi gets 88 mpg-equivalent, which is less than the mpg-e ratings of most rivals, including the Chevrolet Volt and Toyota Prius Plug-in.
Test drivers note that the 2015 Fusion Energi transitions seamlessly between gas and electric power. They add that the Fusion Energi provides plenty of power for driving around town, but accelerates more slowly on the highway, especially in all-electric mode.
- “With both power sources working, the 2015 Ford Fusion Energi produces acceptable acceleration in daily driving. Highway passing maneuvers will require a bit of forethought at first, as speed builds more gradually here than what you may be used to, but in general the Energi will seem a lot like any other midsize sedan." -- Edmunds
- "Electrics deliver all their power instantly, so the car squirts away from stoplights just fine. It's suitable for steady-state highway cruising. But electrics have little left to give once the car is underway, so flooring the throttle at, say, 30 mph results in a very sluggish increase in velocity." -- USA Today (2013)
- "The Energi starts out smoothly, accelerates briskly and switches back and forth from electric to gas to hybrid and back again transparently and without fuss or worry." -- Forbes (2013)
The 2015 Ford Fusion Energi’s lithium-ion battery recharges in 7 hours when plugged into a standard 120-volt household outlet, or in 2 1/2 hours using a 240-volt outlet. A ring of LED lights around the charging port displays the battery’s charge level, and the MyFord Mobile smartphone app can be used to monitor the battery or find charging stations. When fully charged, the Fusion Energi can go 19 miles solely on electric power.
Handling and Braking
Test drivers report that the 2015 Ford Fusion Energi has sharp handling compared to other hybrids. Some critics also say that it has a comfortable ride, but others think the extra weight of the Fusion Energi’s hybrid components gives it a less composed ride than non-hybrid rivals. Reviewers also note that it can be difficult to execute smooth stops with the Fusion Energi’s regenerative brakes.
- "Around town and on the highway, the Fusion Energi has a pleasingly quiet and smooth ride. It's also pretty responsive and precise around turns, which is something not many hybrid models can claim. The only negative here is that, as with most hybrids, the Energi's brakes can be tricky to smoothly modulate until you get used to the pedal's feel." -- Edmunds
- "The car is hundreds of pounds heavier than others of its size, and that shows up over rippled asphalt, where Fusion Energi seems to bound a bit, as if the suspension is working hard to control two tons of car." -- USA Today (2013)
- "We found Ford's blending of regenerative and conventional friction braking in the Energi left much to be desired. Like feedback. Or any sense of where that threshold lies. It's as if the brake lines were filled with something from Orange Julius." -- Car and Driver (2013)
- "Weighing in a good 300 lbs heavier than the Hybrid and 400 lbs heavier than the FWD Ecoboost Fusion has an effect. It's not a ride killer, but it is definitely noticeable." -- Forbes (2013)
Next Steps: Ford Fusion Energi
- View the best prices for the 2015 Ford Fusion Energi
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Ford Fusion Energi
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings