Ford Fusion Hybrid Performance
The 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid’s superb fuel economy wows most test drivers, but some say to get those high figures, you have to be very light with the accelerator. Reviewers agree that the Fusion Hybrid’s transition between gas and electric power is almost flawless, and they say the powertrain is very quiet. Most think the Fusion Hybrid delivers plenty of power, but some note that highway passing requires some planning. Test drivers dislike the regenerative brakes, which they say are too touchy. The Fusion Hybrid’s handling receives mixed comments, with some critics saying the car is floaty and others saying it’s poised in turns.
- “Perhaps the best thing about the hybrid version of the Fusion is that you may not know it is one until you realize how little fuel you're using. The Fusion Hybrid yields an EPA-estimated 47 mpg combined, and is a smooth operator while earning that lofty figure." -- Kelley Blue Book
- “Some drivers have reported significantly lower real-world mileage, however, and achieving maximum mpgs requires a very light right foot." -- Left Lane News
- "Although some aspects of this driving experience are unfortunately hybrid-like, the newest gas-electric Fusion has nailed the three most important aspects of a hybrid: fuel economy, fuel economy, fuel economy." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
- "Its smooth ride and quiet-running drivetrain brought a sense of calm to a commute that often inspires frenetic hurling of epithets." -- The Wall Street Journal (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid has a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and electric motor that combine to make 188 horsepower, as well as a continuously variable transmission (CVT). The Ford Fusion Hybrid gets 47/47 mpg city/highway, according to the EPA, which is excellent for the class.
Most auto reviewers are impressed with the Fusion Hybrid’s power, noting that it is potent from a stop. However, some caution that if you need to pass another car on the highway, you’ll have to make sure you have enough time. Critics agree that the transition between gas and electric power is nearly undetectable, which they like.
- "The Fusion Hybrid system's transition between the gasoline engine and electric motor is nearly seamless, and the car can travel up to 62 mph on electric power alone." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid's acceleration is adequate for daily use around town. There's generally enough passing power on the highway, too, especially if you plan ahead." -- Edmunds
- "Around town, however, the 2013 Fusion hybrid feels delightfully responsive, no doubt due to the fact that the hybrid's electric motor delivers its maximum-rated 117 lb-ft of torque (an increase of 11 lb-ft over last year's hybrid) instantaneously. Never does the new Fusion hybrid's powertrain feel anything but tractable." -- Car and Driver (2013)
- "It's tough to notice the Hybrid's transitions. They're tabletop smooth and the interior is almost bank-vault quiet." -- Motor Trend (2013)
Handling and Braking
Some test drivers say the Fusion Hybrid has composed handling, while others think it is floaty. Most critics think the steering has good road feel, but some dislike the regenerative brakes, which they say are too touchy and unrefined.
- "Thanks to its sophisticated suspension design, the 2014 Fusion Hybrid possesses impressive handling and ride dynamics. Driven through turns, the Fusion Hybrid is confident and composed, and its steering is remarkably communicative." -- Edmunds
- "The Hybrid rides as if it were a street-legal Lay-Z-Boy. Its steering has the most artificial assist of the lineup, and it gently rolls and bounds when pushed hard into corners." -- Motor Trend (2013)
- "The finessing of the regenerative and friction braking is less successful. The regenerative brakes are grabby at all but the lightest touch, and the transition to friction braking is not seamless." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
Next Steps: Ford Fusion Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid
- Search used Ford Fusion Hybrid for sale (27,710 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings