Don't overpay. Use the U.S. News Best Price Program to find the best local prices on the Fusion. Our prices beat the national average 86% of the time. Learn More »
Ford Fusion Review
The 2016 Ford Fusion ranks 8 out of 18 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ford Fusion, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2016 Ford Fusion has agile handling and a modern interior design, according to critics, but they note its base engine is underpowered and its infotainment controls are confusing.
The 2016 Fusion comes standard with a four-cylinder engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. Two turbocharged four-cylinder engines are available. Auto journalists comment that the base engine lacks power, but they like the additional punch and improved fuel economy in the two turbo engines. They think the automatic transmission has smooth, well-timed shifts. The base 2016 Fusion earns an EPA-estimated 22/34 mpg city/highway, which is somewhat low for the class. Front-wheel drive is standard, and all-wheel drive is available. Test drivers report that the Fusion has nimble handling, precise steering and strong brakes.
Auto writers report that the 2016 Ford Fusion has a contemporary interior, with sleek lines and soft-touch materials. They say the seating is comfortable and spacious in both rows, and that the cabin is quiet. Visibility is good to the front and sides, according to reviewers, but poor to the rear. Some critics like the available infotainment system's numerous functions and voice commands, but others say it takes time to learn and can be slow to respond. Trunk space is good for the class. Standard features in the 2016 Fusion include a USB port, voice-controlled Sync with Bluetooth, a rearview camera and MyKey, which allows owners to set vehicle speed and audio volume limits for other drivers. Available features include HD Radio, dual-zone automatic climate control, a heated steering wheel, navigation, inflatable rear seat belts, a 12-speaker Sony audio system, satellite radio, the MyFord Touch infotainment system with an 8-inch LCD touch screen, adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, park assist, lane keep assist, forward collision alert, leather seats and heated and cooled front seats.
- Whether you want a sporty family car with Euro-sharp looks, or just a practical and affordable way to haul around five people, the 2016 Ford Fusion is a hard car to dislike." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "With solid power, excellent fuel economy, distinctive styling and a huge array of tech features, the 2016 Ford Fusion is a great choice for a midsize sedan." -- Edmunds
- "… the Fusion is an all-out assault on the midsize sedan segment. It's Ford's honest best shot at taking down Camry and Accord, and we won't be surprised if the Fusion does just that." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "When you combine the beautiful appearance, smart interior and engaging driving experience with the fuel efficiency and practicality Ford's achieved, the Fusion stands tall as the best car in class. No doubt it is a winner and one that will receive universal praise. … Simply put, if you are in the market for a midsize sedan and you don't buy the Fusion, you are an idiot. And I judge you. I judge you harshly." -- Jalopnik (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers say the Mazda Mazda6 has potent power with its base engine, and is one of the most agile cars in the class. The base Mazda6 gets much better fuel economy than the base Fusion, and auto writers praise its top-notch interior materials.
The Hyundai Sonata's cabin is upscale for the class, critics say, and its infotainment system is straightforward and well-designed. The base Sonata gets better fuel economy than the base Fusion, and it has a slightly larger trunk.
Details: 2016 Ford Fusion
The 2016 Ford Fusion is available in S, SE and Titanium trims. The Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid are reviewed separately. The base Fusion has a four-cylinder engine, and a six-speed automatic transmission is standard on all trims. A turbocharged 1.5- and 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine are available. Front-wheel drive is standard, and all-wheel drive is available on SE and Titanium trims. The Fusion hasn't been fully redesigned since the 2013 model year, and has no major changes for the 2016 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 through 2016 model years.
Next Steps: Ford Fusion
- View the best prices for the 2016 Ford Fusion
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Ford Fusion
- Search used Ford Fusion for sale (28,578 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals